When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
In this role you will be challenged with continuing to innovate and advance the way that we build our extensive supply of riders across all global markets. Operating at scale in a high growth environment is no mean feat, as such you will be faced with some of the most exciting problems across the food tech space.
You will not only work closely with local markets to define the strategic approach to new rider acquisition, but also ensuring that we are tackling all components of the rider lifecycle with a “growth” mentality. There are countless levers to ensuring the supply of riders meets demand and this role is expected to know them inside and out. Every market has its own challenges, and thus dynamism will be pivotal for success.
- Develop “the future of supply” vision for Deliveroo - as a member of the Global Ops team you will help drive the long-term roadmap for how we approach rider supply, testing and improving the efficiency to which we acquire new riders.
- Supply performance - work with business intelligence to continue iterating and advancing our supply forecasting tools. Be the business lead that ensures the tools we are building in HQ match the needs of the local markets.
- Using analytics to improve process - to ensure we achieve our supply targets in every market, you’ll need to carefully analyse our onboarding funnel performance, determine what is working and why, and advise alternative strategies where it’s not.
- Support local markets on making increasingly data-driven decisions – provide analytical support to local markets on selected projects and develop frameworks to ensure strategic objectives are met.
- Work with product - as the business lead for supply performance you will work closely with product to help define the priority tools and features that need building to ensure we continue to run a lean growth machine.
- Analytical and strategic - able to ‘think big’ as well as execute ‘on-the-fly’ via understanding the dynamics of our business.
- Project management – know the basics of managing multiple projects and stakeholders in a structured and logical way.
- Effective communicator - outstanding interpersonal and business skills. Able to quickly establish gravitas and credibility with a range of stakeholders.
- Track record of ‘getting shit done’ - operational knowledge of the business and how it works today. Know when you have enough insight to make-a-call and apply the 80 / 20 rule – rapid high-quality decisions.
- Adaptable fixer - enthusiastic, flexible & adaptable with the ability to remove barriers & bottlenecks via facilitation, creativity & resourcefulness. Don’t slavishly follow processes if they aren’t right.
- Can build “stuff” - approaches, processes, tools and structured change methodologies.
- Inquisitive - infectiously curious, thoughtful and happy to question the status-quo.
- Highly comfortable with data - you are comfortable building analytical models to analyse and understand business cases. SQL and / or Python skills a major plus.
- Experience in a top tier consultancy / investment banking / fast-growing start up.
- Strong analytical mind set.
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills.
- Preferable, but not required - working knowledge of visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Looker, Periscope), base understanding of SQL and / or Python.
- Has fun and enjoys working in a collaborative environment.