When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
In this role you’ll be solving some of the most challenging and exciting strategic questions we have to answer to become the definitive food company. Your responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for designing and executing strategic projects end-to-end, with the intention of driving long-term growth for Deliveroo
- Building tools and frameworks that will enable teams to evaluate critical trade-offs and improve overall decision-making
- Overseeing tracking, reporting, and performance management, and most importantly, coming up with clear action plans for addressing performance-related issues
- Defining Deliveroo’s upcoming “big bets” and supporting with planning efforts
- Communicating with key stakeholders in the team, and feeding back to other functions
- Working closely with other teams at Deliveroo (e.g. Product, Operations) to deliver high-impact projects
- Managing our Special Projects Strategy team
The role requires strong leadership, problem-solving, and analytical skills, with a track-record of delivering projects with multiple stakeholders:
- Background - 5-6 years of consulting / banking / in-house strategy experience.
- Analytical & strategic - able to ‘think big’ as well as execute ‘on-the-fly’ via understanding the dynamics, interdependencies and implications of decisions. Can structure a problem, get to the crux of an issue quickly using data and analysis to validate and test approach
- Adaptable fixer - enthusiastic, flexible & adaptable with the ability to remove barriers and bottlenecks via facilitation, creativity and resourcefulness. Know when you have enough insight to make-a-call and apply the 80/20 rule - rapid high quality decisions
- Collaborative - able to effectively work at all levels of Deliveroo. You must be a team player and able to work collaboratively and deliver success with and through others
- Resourceful - constantly look for creative ways to make the most of the resources we have. Throw tenacity, brainpower, teamwork and collaboration at problems, not money and extra heads. Think like an entrepreneur
- Project & change management - able to demonstrate managing multiple complex projects with numerous stakeholders in a structured and logical way
- Customer focused - understand and connect with our customers. Believe in our ability to create services and products which address this and have the customers best interest at heart
- Comfortable with ambiguity and autonomy - happy to be pointed at problems and work out how to solve them. You don't require micro-management to be successful - you have a can do / will do attitude
- Upbeat, confident & high energy - you bring freshness, energy and passion into the team. Help create a working environment that is unique, spawns new ideas and is enjoyable for the other people involved
- Humble - shout your value through the work you deliver not the words you say. You are humble, don't need to pump yourself up in front of others and can quietly out-produce those who do
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.