When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As a member of the National Operations Development team, you will be responsible for driving operational efficiency, leading the problem solving process and unlocking growth through data backed solutions. Balancing the dynamics between customer, restaurant and delivery riders is a complex problem. You will have the unique opportunity to work with the wider Australian team (across Commercial, Marketing and Customer Care) to scale and drive efficiencies within our operations across Australia & APAC.
We are looking for someone that can think both logically and creatively with a curiosity to learn and a hunger to push the boundaries of success. The Operations Development Analyst will be highly analytical and well versed in Excel. Knowledge of other platforms such as python or SQL is highly regarded as well as the ability to manage cross-team projects with multiple stakeholders. This is a rare opportunity for someone to use their skills to make a tangible impact on the operations of a successful high-growth start-up.
In this role, you will work closely with the Operations Development Manager to look after medium-to-long term projects and challenge the way we do things, driving innovation through quantitative analysis.
- Provide data backed solutions to the unique problems in the Australian market.
- Collaborate and build relationships with Operations team in Australia, APAC and the UK to drive operating efficiencies.
- Produce in depth analytical reports, using business intelligence software, for management review.
- Own end-to-end projects and experiments across different markets for validation and national roll out.
- Use advanced data skills to upskill the wider business, working with managers in other departments and cities to create bespoke training materials.
- Great opportunity for a hungry graduate from a top university with a quantitative degree (Physics, Maths, Engineering or Economics)
- Advanced Excel skills
- Can demonstrate strong analytical achievements, a logical mind and confidence with numbers
- Strong business acumen and an ability to prioritise your workflows
- Personable and an ability to build effective relationships and collaborate with teams of wildly different skill sets
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills to manage stakeholders across multiple departments
- Ability to work quickly with tight deadlines
- Knowledge of core SQL highly regarded
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.