When we started in 2013, Deliveroo’s founder and CEO Will Shu was surprised to find that it was nearly impossible to get great quality food delivered in London despite a wealth of incredible restaurants. He made it his personal mission to bring the best local restaurants and recognisable brands direct to customers’ doors. 5 years on from our inception, Deliveroo is on a mission to become the definitive food company. We are changing the way people eat and giving people better options. In future, when people think of food… we want them to think of Deliveroo!
We operate one of the most complex marketplaces in the world in which at all times we are optimising for restaurants riders and of course consumers. We work in 13 countries globally. We employ over 2,200 people and work with 50,000 riders who deliver from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities across the globe.
The size of the global food market is £7.7 trillion and only 1% of it is online so it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun. There are many unanswered questions that extend well beyond food delivery. How do we help people to get healthy? How can we support restaurants? What does good work look like in the 21st century? At Deliveroo, these are just some of the tough problems that we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours.
Our Legal team is crucial to ensuring that we are able to deliver on key projects and initiatives, and on our ambitious growth plans. We are looking to hire for a Lead Privacy Counsel to help us navigate the increasingly complex data privacy laws and regulations which apply to us around the world. The role will be based in London but will advise the business worldwide. You will be responsible for managing an expanding privacy legal team who provide strategic privacy advice to all teams across the Deliveroo business.
- Collaborate with teams across Deliveroo to continue to implement and improve a global privacy program and governance structure consistent with relevant laws and regulations.
- Offer advice to leadership and teams about the privacy implications of using personal data relating to customers, Deliveroo riders and employees.
- Embed privacy into the product development lifecycle as well as give guidance on ways to minimize operational privacy risks.
- Draft, implement and communicate policies and processes related to Deliveroo’s privacy practices.
- Advocate in the company, the importance of privacy and conduct training and awareness raising exercises.
- Act as advice/escalation point for other members of the global legal team on all kinds of privacy matters.
- Act as Deliveroo’s representative in privacy-related interactions with regulators, law enforcement and customers.
- Be responsible for monitoring, reviewing and assessing new laws and regulations, and providing timely advice regarding their implications to Deliveroo and its operations in a particular region.
- Be an effective business partner to the business providing high quality legal advice in a practical and commercially focussed way that reduces risk, resolves issues and maximises the opportunity for the business to deliver on its goals.
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel.
- Lead Deliveroo’s strategy on complying with data subject rights under GDPR including co-ordination of technical and non-technical teams and review of responses to data subjects.
- Significant and relevant post-qualification privacy experience (at least 8 years PQE) at a leading law firm or in-house. Experience working within the technology sector is a must.
- Expertise in national and European data protection laws and practices and an in-depth understanding of the GDPR. IAPP CIPP/E or similar would be advantageous.
- Proven track record in privacy programme management or other change management process.
- Experience advising on emerging technologies, automated decision-making, profiling and personalisation, and performance marketing would be advantageous.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - for example, your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.