When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
You will be a part of the team responsible for the operational performance of the delivery network in Italy, encompassing reliability, availability and efficiency. You ensure that we have the right number of riders on the road in the right place at the right time. Additionally, you optimise the rider’s experience of working with Deliveroo whilst taking into consideration the customer’s delivery experience and the wider priorities of the business.
Your responsibilities include:
- Using analytics to improve the delivery network - identifying areas for improvement and owning innovative and data-driven solutions to increase the availability, reliability and efficiency of the network
- Matching supply and demand - using a range of measures to ensure that we have enough riders in the right place at the right time
- Improving logistic maps and delivery areas - finding the best logistic optimisation for each city where our business is live
- Continuously identifying opportunities for improvement - identifying, prioritising, managing, and executing projects to a deadline to improve operational performance in line with business priorities
- Experimentation - running tests to explore creative solutions and establish the levers that exist when matching supply and demand, for example a/b testing
This is a 6 months paid intern position.
- Analytical - able to use large data sets to extract the relevant information to both identify and resolve issues
- Strategic - able to ‘think big’ as well as execute ‘on-the-fly’ via understanding the dynamics of our business
- Logistic - know how to move around a city map and get the best from it
- Effective communicator - able to disseminate ideas in a clear, concise manner to the relevant stakeholders
- Logical - get to the crux of an issue quickly, using sound logic and empirical evidence and without over-complication
- Have an opinion - know your stuff, have an opinion, be prepared to debate it, and come to the best solution for Deliveroo
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.