Changing the way the world thinks about food delivery is what we’re all about. That’s why we love bringing amazing restaurant food to people like you – whether it’s juicy burgers, fiery curries or fresh poké bowls.
It’s been been a whirlwind of a journey since our launch in 2013 – we’re now in 12 countries and over 200 cities, with stylish headquarters based in the heart of London.
As a food obsessed, friendly bunch, we enjoy brainstorming ideas to solve business challenges – and we’re not afraid of making great ones happen fast.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
We’re dedicated to building a collaborative and supportive culture. We are not directive. We set goals and objectives and offer advice. We empower our engineers to find solutions to problems at the edge of computer science at great scale. We trust them to use their time wisely.
Our teams are solving unique and difficult problems at scale in an energetic and hyper-growth environment. We’re growing incredibly quickly and we need experienced technical managers to help us scale.
We’re looking for engineering managers at all levels of experience from managing one or two teams (10-12 people) to directing at a group level (25 people and up).
- Be a partner for the product teams to define critical analytical problems and find innovative solutions to build data transformations that are optimal
- Build a high-quality architecture for Data lake (structured and unstructured) that is scalable and flexible. Define and execute the technical plan to achieve that vision in a rapidly changing environment.
- Develop high-impact pipelines to build visibility, trust and awareness about the quality of data and constantly improve it through automation
- Take data quality to heart - Steering bugs, investigations, root cause analysis and being responsible for resolution. Drive data quality across the product vertical and related business areas
- Review the code related to BI/Analytics engineering before moving the code to production.
- Coach the data teams on the best practices and standards while work with data tables and transformations.
- Drive and partner with other engineering managers to design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production.
- Facilitate information self-service to business users through analytic tools, dashboards and detection and alerts
- More than doubling your team size and nurturing a diverse, highly skilled group of data engineers, data scientist and QA analysts.
- Creating a learning environment for your team and act as a mentor for engineers and up and coming leaders within your group
- Working with your team and colleagues right across the company to formulate team goals and then support your team in succeeding against them.
- Becoming instrumental in improving and implementing processes and values that help us continue to be effective as the company scales.
- A strong communicator with the business acumen to own stakeholder relationships directly
- Proven leadership skills as line manager to a team of at least 5 engineers.
- Analytical mindset to bring together engineering solutions and business impact and have autonomy in managing cross-functional projects
- Investigate code, pay attention to the details and can make a conscious effort to understand causes instead of just the effects. Able to thrive in an environment with continuous integration, automated code reviews
Comfortable with ambiguity; able to thrive with minimal oversight and process
Strong experience in data modelling and data pipeline design and implementation, data analysis, reporting & visualisation (e.g. Looker, Tableau)
- Your style is collaborative and supportive rather than directive. You set goals and objectives and offer advice rather than doing the work yourself or dealing out task lists to your team.
- You have experience building a team. You’re a natural recruiter.
- Strong SQL skills and knowledge and familiarity with SQL refactoring and other distributed data stores (Hadoop, S3, Presto, Hive & Spark, SQL, NoSQL, RDBMS).
- Requirement analysis and project management ; experience in documenting technical standards and guidelines
- Experience in data integration, data quality and data migration
- Experience in Python/Java
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes in micro-service development and deployment
- BS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related quantitative field
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.