Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. We’re five years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from concept to successful and global rollout, like Deliveroo Editions - our game-changing bespoke kitchens.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam in our fun working space and free for all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too - we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 200 cities.
Sounds fun - what about the role?
Our legal team is crucial to ensuring that we are able to deliver on key projects and initiatives, and on our ambitious growth plans. As we continue to grow, we are looking to strengthen our team with a senior hire reporting into our Head of Employment Law and Commercial Litigation in our London HQ. You’ll be responsible for providing strategic advice to the global business, partnering with our central management team and country general managers.
This role is a unique opportunity to work in an exciting global business, headquartered in the UK, and play a critical role in defining employment law. We’ve already successfully defended the status of our riders in various markets; and are working with governments to end the trade off between flexibility and security - allowing Deliveroo to lead the way in protecting individuals working in the on-demand economy.
This is an exceptional role - and we are looking for an exceptional candidate.
- Work closely with our Head of Employment and Commercial Litigation and other members of the legal team to assist on employment law, litigation, regulatory and policy matters across our global business
- Understand, interpret and apply current laws applicable to Deliveroo’s ever expanding business as well as identifying what’s coming around the corner and mitigating legal risks
- Shape the future of employment law by working with governments and other stakeholders
- Be an effective business partner to the business - in particular the management team in our London HQ, country general managers, operations teams, product teams, and the people team, on key initiatives
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel
- Work hard but have a lot of fun doing it!
- Passion for food and the company
- This is a senior role and we are looking for someone at the top of their game. You’ll have at least 6 years PQE at a leading law firm or in-house function (secondment or other in-house experience a plus)
- Prior experience advising companies in the on-demand economy would also be welcome, but not a requirement
- Excellent academics and training. You’ll need to have exceptional business judgement and creativity, be comfortable dealing in ambiguity and have strong communication and interpersonal skills The ability to remain calm and multi-task under pressure. React, think on your feet and make quick decisions in a rapidly growing, fast-changing environment.
- The ability to thrive in high impact / high profile scenarios is essential - all whilst showing a good sense of humour
- Fluency in foreign languages is a plus
- Work in a well-funded and hyper-growth startup revolutionising the food delivery space
- Have a real impact on the company's growth and evolution
- Work with leaders in their field, in an energetic and entrepreneurial environment
- Friday lunches from our very own restaurant partners and regular restaurant sample tastings (there really is a lot of food!)
- Very competitive package - including share options in a business which has already achieved unicorn status
- Swag! Assuming you like kangaroos and great food, though
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - for example, your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.