Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. We’re five years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from concept to successful and global rollout, like Deliveroo Editions - our game-changing bespoke kitchens. Editions hosts a locally curated selection of restaurants which deliver a unique route to market for our partner restaurants, even greater choice for our customers, and more opportunities for the riders who work with us.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam in our fun working space and free for all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too - we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 200 cities.
Our Legal team is crucial to ensuring that we are able to deliver on key projects and initiatives, and on our ambitious growth plans. As we continue to grow in the Asia- Pacific Region, we are looking to expand the team with a senior hire who will report directly into our Chief Legal Officer. The role will be based in Hong Kong and will be primarily responsible for legal and regulatory matters for our Hong Kong and Singapore businesses along with any other new markets that we may expand into in the region. You’ll be responsible for providing strategic advice to the country businesses, partnering closely with the GM of those countries and his management team and be supported by a fantastic team in our UK HQ.
- Work closely with the London team and other international members of the legal department but also supported by external counsel, you will be primarily responsible for implementing our regional legal strategy and providing advice in relation to all commercial, corporate, marketing, litigation, regulatory and policy matters in the APAC region
- Work closely with the Regional Employment Counsel who will be primarily responsible for external and internal employment issues in the region
- Be the primary point of contact for the business in the region and will advise on a wide array of legal and regulatory matters, including commercial deals with restaurant and other business partners, leases and licenses for our Editions kitchens, strategic advisory matters, marketing campaigns, privacy and consumer protection issues
- Be responsible for monitoring, reviewing and assessing laws and regulations providing timely advice regarding their implications to Deliveroo and its operations in the region
- Work with the London based corporate team on various internal and external corporate and compliance matters.
- Need to understand, interpret and apply current laws applicable to Deliveroo’s ever expanding business as well as pro-actively identifying what’s coming around the corner and mitigating legal risks
- Be an effective business partner to the business - in particular the country managers, operations teams and product teams,on key initiatives across the region, providing high quality legal advice in a practical and commercially focussed way that reduces risk, resolve issues and maximises the opportunity for the business to deliver on its goals
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel to handle contentious matters and achieve regulatory and policy objectives
- Work hard but have a lot of fun doing it!
- Significant and relevant post-qualification commercial or corporate related experience (at least 8 years PQE plus) at a leading law firm or in-house (in-house experience at a similar fast growth tech company would be very advantageous)
- Excellent academics and training, commercial and pragmatic judgement
- Be comfortable dealing in ambiguity with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to bring exceptional business judgment and creativity and to have a can-do attitude and demonstrate strong initiative in a rapidly growing, fast-changing environment
- The ability to multi-task, effectively prioritise and able to function effectively whilst showing a good sense of humour.
- The ability to remain calm under pressure, react quickly, think on your feet and make quick decisions
- The ability to simplify and effectively communicate complex legal or business principles in a manner that can be easily understood by your business colleagues
- Excellent oral communication skills so that you can effectively interact with both internal and external contacts
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Other relevant languages are a plus
- Become one of the early employees in a well-funded and hyper-growth startup revolutionising the food delivery space
- Have a real impact on the company's growth and evolution
- Work with leaders in their field, in an energetic and entrepreneurial environment
- Friday lunches from our very own restaurant partners and regular restaurant sample tastings (there really is a lot of food!)
- Very competitive package and benefits (including equity options)
- Swag! Assuming you like kangaroos and great food, though
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - for example, your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.