Deliveroo delivers food to hungry customers in 12 countries and over 200 cities. To ensure our continued success and international growth, we are investing heavily in our Algorithms Data Science function, which builds intelligent machines that solve extremely difficult, mission critical problems, such as dynamic vehicle routing, incentivizing our fleet of riders, network load management, and personalization. We are seeking technical leads with significant post-academic experience delivering impactful algorithmic projects (~5+ years) to work alongside teammates from fields such as machine learning, computer science, operations research, cognitive neuroscience, econometrics, computer vision, and physics. This role offers the opportunity to do the most impactful technical work of your career while also gaining leadership experience.
As an Algorithms Data Scientist Lead at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring extensive industry experience to bear on helping steer teams toward the most impactful scientific work
- Be a force multiplier: mentor and support teammates who have recently left academia and are new to industry
- Care about impact, and constantly seek out the necessary conversations to ensure that you build the right algorithm at the right time.
- Bring a combination of mathematical and scientific rigor, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to build intelligent machines that drive the company forward
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into practical, powerful algorithmic solutions
- Design, execute, and analyze live experiments to test what you build
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- Solve dynamic, stochastic routing problems whose complexity is at or beyond the cutting edge of current theory
- Effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, and restaurant scheduling models
- Effectively and automatically nudge riders to maximize their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers
- Dynamically price our service
- Help customers discover great new restaurants that will delight them personally
- Target CRM and restaurant marketing campaigns to the customers that will find them most relevant
Deliveroo is a data-driven organization: The algorithms you develop will be A/B tested quickly and rigorously and you will have direct, measurable impact to the bottom line.
- Significant industry experience since the completion of your academic career (~5+ years).
- Masters degree or PhD (PhD preferred) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or other quantitative field.
- Proven track record of building effective algorithms at industry scale.
- Extensive experience with regression and classification modeling in a prediction/control setting, and strong grasp of the associated concepts.
- Experience with integer optimization, time series modeling, recommender systems, and experiment design are all useful.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.