We are constantly expanding our team, so don't be surprised if you see the same roles being advertised all year around – we’re always looking for great people! This role is for a management position. If your interest is focused on building products and your design expertise, take a look at our Senior Product Designer role.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The product design discipline is part of the Content, Research & Design team, the team that defines how our customers, riders, restaurants and employees interact with Deliveroo’s products and services end to end. Based in London, our team has a global impact, with our work reaching customers in Singapore, riders in Amsterdam and restaurant kitchens in Paris.
Our Senior Design Managers help steer vision and strategy, and build great environments for people to do amazing work. They develop and recruit teams of world-class product designers and build teams with a clear sense of identity, purpose and passion. If that sounds like you, we’d love to chat!
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Recruit and build a world-class product design team
- Support your team members in their personal growth to build a cohesive and tight-knit culture
- Shape product strategy and vision together with your team and partners from across the company; such as Engineering, Product Management, Commercial and Operations
- Encourage and ensure world-class design execution for the products you look after by helping set standards and practices
- Help your team operate in a fast-moving, global environment by setting context and clearing the path for them to execute
- Drive and support cross-team initiatives that make the Content, Research & Design practice at Deliveroo better - such as improving our hiring process, expanding our community presence, interviewing potential new team members, and much more
What you might work on
The products we work on are as diverse as the users we serve. During your time at Deliveroo you’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- Our Rider apps
- Products for our Restaurants
- Our suite of Consumer products
- Internal Tools to help us provide better customer service
- Design systems and tools
What you should bring
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
This role is for you if you:
- Love building teams and products from scratch, and enjoy making an impact in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment
- Have experience building and running high-performing product design teams consisting of at least 5 people
- Have a track record establishing great relationships and working with other disciplines, such as user research, content design, product management and engineering
- Are an excellent communicator - whether it’s about people, design or product, you bring a positive energy into any conversation you’re in and are able to get those around you excited around a shared purpose
- Are a caring, empathetic, humble mentor and coach. You care about developing your team, helping them overcome challenges, and helping nurture the future leaders of our team
- Are ok with international travel across all our 12 markets
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Have a good sense of humour!
You don’t need to have a degree to apply. What matters is you and how you bring out the best in others.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.