Changing the way the world thinks about food delivery is what we’re all about. That’s why we love bringing amazing restaurant food to people like you – whether it’s juicy burgers, fiery curries or fresh poké bowls.
It’s been been a whirlwind of a journey since our launch in 2013 – we’re now in 12 countries and over 200 cities, with stylish headquarters based in the heart of London.
As a food obsessed, friendly bunch, we enjoy brainstorming ideas to solve business challenges – and we’re not afraid of making great ones happen fast.
The buyer owns the management and execution of sourcing activities in key categories on behalf of the business. This crucial role is responsible for leading commercial negotiations with core suppliers, managing performance, implementing and maintaining effective ways of working with relevant stakeholders and supporting finance in creating effective business processes.
Key responsibilities include:
- Define sourcing strategy for category manager and stakeholder sign off
- Tendering and negotiation of key contracts
- Optimizing commercial terms with suppliers
- Managing implementation and supplier performance alongside relevant stakeholders
Category Strategy, Planning & Sourcing
Central to the buyer’s roles is providing input and working with the sourcing manager to develop the IT / Tech category plan and specifically for Business Applications and IT equipment’s’. This will vary in scale and scope by individual but will encompass
- Work with the Sourcing manager to develop category plan for sourcing which drives sourcing activity
- Prioritising activity throughout the year to ensure maximum impact for the business
- Monitoring, updating progress and refining where required
- Reviewing opportunities to work cross brand or cross country with other functions/colleagues
- Setting up policy and governance processes
Tendering and negotiation of key contracts
The buyer is the focus for terms negotiation with suppliers. In many instances this will require the buyer to lead major negotiations, run tenders or alternatively where agreed by the Category Manager, guide others in negotiating excellent outcomes with suppliers. This will include;
- Prepare and analyse tenders taking into account when required the whole life cycle costs
- Develop tender analysis reports and presenting recommendations to key stakeholders
- Negotiating core terms with suppliers
- Ensure savings targets are met
- Optimising payment terms to improve working capital
Selecting Suppliers & Managing Relationships
- Successful supplier relationships require careful management at a number of touch points across the organisation. As the lead for the commercial (core terms) side of the relationship, the buyer inevitably leads much of this activity although ownership of the relationship exists equally within the functional structure. This will include;
- Deciding and maintaining in conjunction with functional colleagues a suitable preferred supplier list in each category
- Work with suppliers and appropriate colleagues to recommend (and where appropriate approve) product selection.
- Actively managing the performance of suppliers through:
- Reviewing Supplier performance against agreed metrics
- Resolving major operational issues escalated by colleagues
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a Buyer / Assistant Sourcing Manager role in IT / Tech
- Experience within the tech industry is a nice-to-have or other fast paced industry
- Strong analysis skills and good general understanding of business
- Good stakeholder engagement and management experience
- Proficient negotiator and deal maker
- Credible with Senior Management especially within suppliers
- Able to lead small cross functional groups on multiple assignments
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.