Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re five years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 200 cities.
The buyer owns the management and execution of sourcing activities in key categories on behalf of the business. This crucial role is responsible for leading commercial negotiations with core suppliers, managing performance, implementing and maintaining effective ways of working with relevant stakeholders and supporting finance in creating effective business processes.
Key responsibilities include:
- Define sourcing strategy for category manager and stakeholder sign off
- Tendering and negotiation of key contracts within facilities
- Optimising commercial terms with suppliers
- Managing implementation and supplier performance alongside relevant stakeholder
Category Strategy, Planning & Sourcing
Central to the buyer’s roles is providing input and working with the sourcing manager to develop the category plan. This will vary in scale and scope by individual but will encompass
- Work with the sourcing manager to develop category plan for sourcing which drives sourcing activity
- Prioritising activity throughout the year to ensure maximum impact for the business
- Monitoring, updating progress and refining where required
- Reviewing opportunities to work cross brand or cross country with other functions/colleagues
- Leading value chain analysis and value engineering on products sourced in conjunctions with colleagues from other teams/functions
Tendering and negotiation of key contracts
The buyer is the focus for terms negotiation with suppliers. In many instances this will require the buyer to lead major negotiations, run tenders or alternatively where agreed by the Category Manager, guide others in negotiating excellent outcomes with suppliers. This will include;
- Prepare and analyse tenders taking into account when required the whole life cycle costs
- Develop tender analysis reports and presenting recommendations to key stakeholders
- Negotiating core terms with suppliers
- Ensure savings targets are meet
- Optimising payment terms to improve working capital
Selecting Suppliers & Managing Relationships
- Successful supplier relationships require careful management at a number of touch points across the organisation. As the lead for the commercial (core terms) side of the relationship, the buyer inevitably leads much of this activity although ownership of the relationship exists equally within the functional structure. This will include;
- Deciding and maintaining in conjunction with functional colleagues a suitable preferred supplier list in each category
- Work with suppliers and appropriate colleagues to recommend (and where appropriate approve) product selection.
- Support new product development opportunities in conjunction with functional/operational colleagues
- Actively managing the performance of suppliers through:
- Reviewing Supplier performance against agreed metrics
- Resolving major operational issues escalated by colleagues
Key skills and other requirements:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a buyer/assistant sourcing manager role in FM
- Experience within the tech industry is a nice-to-have or other fast paced industry
- Strong analysis skills and good general understanding of business
- Good stakeholder engagement and management experience
- Proficient negotiator and deal maker
- Good research skills
- Credible with senior management especially within suppliers
- Able to lead small cross functional groups on multiple assignments
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.