When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 12 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Job Title: Software Engineering Director
Location: Cannon Street, London
Who We Are
Our ambition is to be the definitive food company, feeding people three times a day with great food from the World's best-loved restaurants, all with an unparalleled level of convenience.
From distributed computing to large-scale system design, complex algorithms to beautiful user interfaces, we have teams working on every step of the journey, in real-time, to ensure we continue to offer our customers a growing selection of choice at the best price with a fantastic level of service.
We work with thousands of restaurants worldwide, from renowned local gems to your favourite chains, allowing them to open up a new revenue stream and reach new customers. Our restaurant partners, riders and customers are as passionate about food as we are, and if you want to make an impact on millions of users by solving some of the biggest technical challenges at great scale, come on board and join the ride.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
We’re dedicated to building a collaborative and supportive culture. We set goals and objectives and offer advice. We empower our engineers to find solutions to problems at great scale. We trust them to use their time wisely.
Our teams are solving unique and difficult problems at scale in an energetic and hyper-growth environment. We’re growing incredibly quickly and we need experienced technical managers to help us scale.
We’re looking for engineering directors who can lead at a group level by managing, mentoring and coaching their engineering managers across our Consumer, Rider, Restaurant or Platform groups.
Over the next 12 months you will:
- Be responsible for a group of engineering managers heading-up dynamic cross-functional teams across our Consumer, Rider, Restaurant or Platform group
- Drive product strategy and goals, and continue to support and develop the engineering organisation
- Grow a highly-skilled, self-organising group of engineering managers, gaining fantastic exposure to scaling a tech organisation at a unique pace
- Be accountable for scaling the product through successful budget, headcount and forecast planning
- Drive a learning environment for the organisation and act as a mentor for engineers and up and coming leaders
- Own the improvement and implementation of processes and values that scale effectively
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers building and deploying large-scale projects internationally
- Collaborate with cross functional teams including product, design, operations
- Proven engineering leadership skills at director level
- You have been a software engineer and a manager, directing the build of user-focused products at pace
- Your style is collaborative and supportive, to encourage an organisation to continually optimise their code
- You set goals and objectives and offer advice, setting your group of engineering managers up for success
- You’re a natural recruiter, passionate about building London’s best engineering organisation
- Passionate about collaborative problem solving
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.