Job Title: Data Science Manager
Location: London, Cannon Street
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Data Science Manager
Deliveroo is not just a consumer-facing brand, but also a logistics company, directing a fleet of riders around major cities across the globe using a dedicated native app. We’re a partner to restaurants, who see us as a way to unlock access to new customers and thus maximise the revenue of their existing business.
To ensure our continued success and build on our thriving partnerships with riders and restaurants, we are investing heavily in our Data Science function. We are seeking an experienced manager to support Data Scientists across the Restaurant and Delivery group. We’re dedicated to building a collaborative and supportive culture. We are not directive. We set goals and objectives and offer advice. We empower our data scientists to find rigorous and impactful solutions.
As a Data Scientist Manager at Deliveroo, you will:
- Be line manager to a team of Data Scientists who are embedded into product teams across the Restaurant and Delivery group
- Help those Data Scientists provide insightful pieces of analysis to discover areas of opportunity that shape the product teams’ roadmaps.
- Help them turn their data-driven insights into actionable and well communicated analysis.
- Contribute data-driven analysis and insight, both directly and through your team, to help Deliveroo continue its evolution of automated model-driven optimisation and system self-configuration.
- Work with the Data Scientists to help the product teams produce test plans and analysis of A/B tests.
- Be a force multiplier: mentor and support data scientists with a range of industry experience, from those fresh out of university through to those who are more experienced and deepening their technical leadership skills.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and other colleagues across the business to develop and provide the strategic context that will allow your teams to identify the most impactful work.
- Prior line management experience with data scientists, and a track record of empowering teams to be more impactful.
- Masters degree or PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or other quantitative field.
- Experience running A/B and multivariate tests and a solid understanding of the statistics involved in running this type of tests.
- You are someone who enjoys communicating and building strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders and are able to explain complex topics in simple terms.
The sort of personality who thrives in a fast-moving and quickly changing environment.
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.