Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions is our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to sink your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and 200 cities.
This role will report into the Director of Commercial Development & Strategy UK & IE, you’ll be a peer to the Head of Partnerships who leads our Commercial Partnerships & Packaging business and you’ll also be expected to work alongside Global / Central teams where needed.
You will have no direct reports initially, but will work in a matrix style with Commercial, Product, Technology, Finance, Business Intelligence and other analytical teams across the business.
The Head of Commercial Development & Strategy will be required to work across four broad areas:
- Manage Strategic Projects & Priorities - work with the UK & IE Management Team to identify and lead key projects which ‘move the needle’ e.g. revenue / orders or cost and efficiencies or talent and org design. Support in development of monthly, quarterly and annual forecasting, performance and budget processes and strategic planning.
- Troubleshoot & Fix - surface pain-points and broken processes. Diagnose areas of optimisation and demonstrate hypothesis driven problem solving abilities. Then lead actions that lead to tangible improvement.
- Standard setting & coaching - build the ‘strategic and execution muscle’ in the business. Lead by example and raise-the-bar. Bring best practices and prior experience into Deliveroo and adapt for our culture and ways of working.
- Sounding Board & Advisor - strategic ‘sparring-partner’ and sounding board for ideas. Provide challenge to the business, be curious, make us better. Help other develop and progress.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a top Strategy Consulting, Bank or top-performing FMCG, retail or hospitality company
- Masters degree or MBA from a top University.
- Analytical & Strategic – able to ‘think big’ as well as execute ‘on-the-fly’ via understanding the dynamics of our business. Can structure a problem, get to the crux of an issue quickly using data and analysis to validate and test approach.
- Adaptable Fixer - enthusiastic, flexible & adaptable with the ability to remove barriers and bottlenecks via facilitation, creativity and resourcefulness. Doesn’t slavishly follow processes if they aren’t right. Know when you have enough insight to make-a-call and apply the 80 / 20 rule - rapid high quality decisions. Ability to develop and implement strategic and operational changes and solutions including process, system and structure.
- Collaborative - able to effectively work at all levels of Deliveroo. You must be a team player and able to work collaboratively and deliver success with and through others. Ability to leave your ego at the door when needed.
- Resourceful - constantly look for creative ways to make the most of the resources we have. Throw tenacity, brainpower, teamwork and collaboration at problems, not money and extra heads.
- Project & Change Management - able to demonstrate managing multiple complex projects with numerous stakeholders in a structured and logical way.
- Customer focused - understand and connect with our customers. Every customer is a person: a person with hopes, dreams, expectations and needs. Believe in our ability to create services and products which address this and have the customers best interest at heart.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and autonomy - happy to be pointed at problems and work out how to solve them. You don't require micro-management to be successful - you have a can do / will do attitude.
- Upbeat, Confident & High Energy - you bring freshness, energy and passion into the team. Help create a working environment that is unique, spawns new ideas and is enjoyable for the other people involved.
- Humble - shout your value through the work you deliver not the words you say. You are humble, don't need to pump yourself up in front of others and can quietly out-produce those who do.
- Free food and LOTS of it.
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders).
- A brand new extremely impressive and fun office. complete with nap room, onsite gym, basketball court and a rooftop overlooking Tower Bridge.
- Subsidised gym membership.
- Top-notch kit. Bring your own or we'll get you a shiny new Macbook and stuff.
- An extremely fun team to work alongside!
- Abundance of great online learning courses delivered by global universities.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.