Who We Are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals to everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, a suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer from bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the best-loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organisational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
How does it work?
Try it out if you haven’t before. Go to our website or open up our iOS or Android app. If you’re outside the UK, use the following postcode: EC4R 3TE. You’ll be greeted by one of our suite of products put lovingly put together by the Deliveroo product and engineering teams. Once you’ve input your location, we’ll provide a curated list of restaurants that will deliver to you. Select your items, choose any modifiers (lemon and herb? Oh come on!) and we’ll take over.
Your order then pings another one of apps that sits on a tablet in the restaurant with your order, then our dispatch engine, Frank, selects a Roo (that’s what we call them, the lovely people with the kangaroo boxes on their bikes) then guides them to the restaurant, and then to your location, in an average time of 32 minutes with the help of our Rider app. Those apps, alongside our suite of real time monitoring tools, all play a critical part in getting that tasty food to you quickly and in great condition.
So why work for us?
Training and Development:
We’re all about helping you reach your full potential, and as a business, we never stop learning. We’ll give you a budget for machinery, conferences, books, online courses, and whatever else you need to develop and learn new skills to help keep Deliveroo ahead of the rest.
We’re a global business, so it’s extremely important to us that our team and environment offer a great environment for all types of people. We’re not your average startup bro monoculture.
We encourage each product team to get involved in suggesting the most effective way to get things done. We utilise best practices to make sure everything we do is a collective effort, and we encourage everyone to take an interest of all areas of the business; not a designer, but you’ve thought of a way to more effectively present a map? The design team are all ears! No code monkeys here, it’s all part of the whole “reach your full potential” stuff we mentioned earlier. Have a little scroll up if you’d like reminding.
Making you comfortable:
Output, not input. It’s not a problem if you need a little leeway in the way you work, in fact if it helps you out, we’re all for it. We’ve got a cycle to work scheme in place, allow for flexible working hours, and are happy for you to work from home on occasion.
Come with us as we take each other on in go-karts. If it’s Monday, chances are somebody has baked something delicious over the weekend and brought it in to share with the team. Some of us like to work out in the park at lunch, some of us prefer to...you know...eat lunch at lunch. We’re a sociable bunch, and we love to chill out as a team on Friday evenings after a solid week’s work.
- You take pride in writing readable, well-designed software. You prefer simple solutions over complex ones.
- You’re interested in new technologies and tools, but understand the rationale for choosing Boring Technology. You believe in using the right tool for the job.
- You’re comfortable building and scaling systems in a growing services infrastructure. You are driven to improve performance, enhance code quality, and establish best practices for your team.
- You have a proven ability to get up to speed quickly. You are a team player and will learn whatever new skills or tools needed to get the job done.
- You have the initiative and communication skills to build relationships with colleagues on different teams to solve fundamental business problems.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience building web applications at scale
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following languages: Ruby, Python, Go, Java, Scala
- Working experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
- Bonus points for experience with front-end technologies (we use React)
- You'll work in any number of our Product Teams, utilising AGILE best practice
- You'll build products and improve existing ones (tech products that is...not meals)
- You'll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- You'll gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- You'll work closely with other developers, designers, QA and others
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at an incredible pace
- Conferences, we're all about professional development
- Top end machinery
- Subsidised gym membership at a proper fancy gym down the road
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as game nights, and the legendary “Bun-day Monday”
- Ping-pong table, PS4, dartboard and foosball table as standard office furniture
- Food. So much food. Nom Nom