Degreed is the upskilling platform that empowers growth and innovation through lifelong learning. We integrate everything people use to learn and build their careers—skill insights, LMSs, courses, videos, articles, and projects—and match everyone to growth opportunities that fit their unique skills, roles, and goals. Degreed enables employers to create a dynamic culture of learning to attract, grow and retain talent, drive individual development, and deliver business results.
We are seeking a Senior Software Architect to join our Technology organization who, in collaboration with other architects and senior leadership, will oversee current product modernization and establish next generation architectures for future products and services.
The ideal candidate for this role will be based in the US and have experience working in remote-first, distributed teams.
Day in the Life
- Partner with Product and Technology subject-matter experts to elicit and translate product and business requirements into technology solutions
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to Engineering teams for product-level architecture and design
- Contribute to development of strategic future-state technology and domain architectures
- Review ongoing engineering to ensure consistent evolution toward the strategic future-state architecture
- Develop reference implementations of future-state architecture components to jump start and standardize engineering teams’ product development work
- Ensure recommended architectural designs and patterns are adhered to as part of delivery
- Recognize and implement patterns that enable architecture and implementation simplification
- Identify risks, opportunities, and solutions that influence strategy considering all aspects of a product or solution (costs, privacy, data retention, security, etc.)
- Use your thought leadership and strong communication skills to influence and inspire engineering teams to achieve higher levels of technical innovation
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of emerging technologies and industry trends to inform technical domain strategy and direction
Who You Are
There are only a handful of folks who meet all the qualifications. We care more about hiring a technology leader with experience leading enterprise-scale architectural transformation and delivering high quality business results than checking all the boxes. So, whether you meet all the qualifications or a partial set, we want to hear from you.
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field / equivalent experience
- 10+ years of general experience in systems architecture and design, including web, cloud, and mobile platforms
- 7+ years of experience in systems architecture, service-based architecture, or enterprise application architecture
- 5+ years of experience delivering cloud-based SaaS applications in Azure, AWS, or GCP. Relevant certifications such as Azure Solutions Architect, AWS Solution Architect a plus.
- A critical thinker with an analytical mind-set who is adept at evaluating opportunities to reach goals
- Highly self-motivated with a strong drive to capture business requirements and develop product architecture that embodies those requirements
- You have a passion for technology, with an ability to understand and assess new technologies and their potential applicability to business needs efficiently and effectively.
- Hands-on experience designing, developing, and deploying large-scale SaaS solutions, including scaling million-user systems to support 10x growth
- Practiced at system-level change management and safe, systematic evolution of an existing system
- Strong knowledge of cloud, SaaS, and SPA application and data security principles and practices
- Able to effectively communicate technical problems and solutions to technical and non-technical individuals
- Ability to work independently, manage priorities and multi-task
What Sets You Apart
- Demonstrated ability to architect and model mission critical solutions leveraging cloud agnostic architectural patterns
- Experienced, both deep and wide, with front and back-end languages and frameworks, different datastores (SQL, Postgres, neo4j, elastic) containerization and container orchestration (docker/K8S), eventing/messaging systems (Kafka, rabbitMQ), and multiple cloud offerings (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Management experience and strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to lead and direct individuals and teams
- Demonstrated experience in Systems Thinking – breaking problems into manageable pieces, understanding how the pieces interact and creating an integrated, functioning, whole system when assembled
- Demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring technical staff in the incremental modernization of product architectures
- Lifelong Learner - display a high degree of inquisitiveness and an eagerness to learn at a detailed and abstract level; demonstrated continuous learning
Total Rewards at Degreed
- Comprehensive health insurance for you and your family (both PPO and HDHP plans available)
- Dental and vision plans for you and your family
- Employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, short-term disability, and long-term disability
- Company equity
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with up to 4% match
- Company funded HSA and dependent care FSA (pending eligibility)
- Generous Parental Leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off and 5 sick days per year
- Education benefit: Up to $1,200 per year for anything you want to learn (and we mean anything)!
- One-time Home Office Stipend to make your workspace more comfortable
- Monthly internet and phone stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend through Forma