About Def Method
We are generalist software engineering and product management consultants committed to building the best software company we can by delivering excellent results for our customers. We apply user-centered design, lean, and agile software development principles to help our customers create valuable products, and are always refining our craft.
Value prop of this role
We’re looking for an experienced Conversation Designer to join the team.
Def Method builds a range of products for our clients, varying from greenfield applications for startups to well-established products across various industries.
An estimate of how you’ll spend your time
- Practice - 50%
- Lead the charge for the customer conversational experience and translate business needs into conversational use cases
- Iterate and experiment to create beautiful, functional and thoughtful conversational designs
- Plan, write and edit conversational dialogue plus create or enhance intent templates for multi-modal experiences
- Conduct user research (including chat log analysis, contextual interviews) to uncover user needs, pain points, and behaviors
- Problem solve, think big, and explore concepts and ideas in order to design valuable, cohesive, delightful, and empathetic user experiences.
- Lead user experience research and experimentation initiatives, partnering with Product Engineering, Data Science, and management
- Partner with the Design Team to develop new paradigms and frameworks for new interaction models involving language as interaction
- Tactical - 40%
- Facilitate product discovery and development on client projects, act as design advisor to our customers and consultants, and provide additional project support as needed
- Operations - 10%
- Represent design in sales conversations and scoping work.
What you’ll bring:
- 3+ years of relevant conversation design work & experience, including VUI design, voice designing, UX copywriting
- Familiarity with complete UX research experience, including user research, collaborative ideation, chatbot writing, prototyping and testing
- Experience writing user interview scripts and conducting user interviews including exploratory, validation, and usability interviews.
- Your professional desire for continuous learning, a breadth of experiences, and a hunger to learn and discover new ideas, products, and processes.
- Strong, clear communication and presentation skills. You will be expected to present design strategies to your team, clients and the executive team.
- Passion for building intuitive, positive experiences for users.
- Your bias for user-centered, collaborative, lightweight process and tight feedback loops.
- Your ability to give honest, unflinching, and respectful analysis to our customers, employees, and the leadership team.
Why we love working here
- We are committed to growing together by building excellent software for customers and expanding the range of experiences and perspectives that shape our work.
- Investment in learning: one month of professional development time for courses/conference/study per year, with a generous budget.
- Great pay and benefits — comprehensive health, dental, vision, 401(k) matching, paid parental leave, even life insurance!
- Generous vacation time and minimal travel (if at all).
- Flexible work from home policy in normal times; we are currently remote through the end of 2020.