At Google DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
As a Principal in the StratOps team, you will be part of a high-performing team, responsible for in-house consulting projects to help Google DeepMind leadership answer knotty strategic questions essential to Google DeepMind’s success, including realising the most impactful applications of our research. This role is integral to the achievement of Google DeepMind’s mission and requires someone who can bridge Google DeepMind research and Google’s industry-leading products, platforms and technologies to pave the way towards an inclusive AGI-enabled future.
Artificial Intelligence could be one of humanity’s most useful inventions. At Google DeepMind, we’re a team of scientists, engineers, machine learning experts and more, working together to advance the state of the art in artificial intelligence. We use our technologies for widespread public benefit and scientific discovery, and collaborate with others on critical challenges, ensuring safety and ethics are the highest priority.
The role of Principal of Business Strategy is as a leader and manager, whose purpose is to help Google DeepMind leadership answer knotting strategic questions essential to Google DeepMind’s success, including realising the most impactful applications of our research. This individual shows up at all times with curiosity, intellectual rigour, honesty, respect and humility. The Principal collaborates with senior leaders across Google DeepMind and reports to the Director of Strategy and Operations.
- Serve as manager on the Google DeepMind-wide Strategy & Operations (StratOps) function to help Google DeepMind leadership answer strategic questions essential to Google DeepMind’s success, including realising the most impactful applications of our research:
- Partnering with Applied, Product, Science, and Research teams to identify, evaluate and realise opportunities for Google DeepMind’s technology to benefit humanity
- Driving recommendations, with influence and credibility, to Google DeepMind’s executives on pivotal decisions
- Overseeing a portfolio of work - ensuring timely, impactful, and quality delivery of your own work and that of associates working with you
- Building trusted relationships across Google DeepMind to ensure effective partnership
- Retaining the resources the StratOps team needs to succeed, including external perspectives, additional capabilities and flex capacity
- Serve as a leader in the organisation by:
- Role modelling Google DeepMind’s values
- Participating in leadership forums
- Mentoring team members
- Cultivating positive and productive team environment
- Strong understanding of AI technology and its applications. Direct experience with AI-Driven business and product strategy is required.
- Strong problem solving and analytical capabilities that underpin the creation of objective and effective solutions. Comfort with independently working with quantitative data and of structuring quantitative analysis.
- Ability to apply top-down strategic thinking to complex, ambiguous and unfamiliar problems and translate into pragmatic solutions and / or proposed path forward.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to work cross functionally and collaboratively. Coming in with a proven track record of senior stakeholder management. Deep understanding of Google’s business and key exec stakeholders is a plus.
- Ability to hold both bold and responsible considerations together in all analyses and recommendations.
Would be great if you also have:
- Interest and experience in Robotics and Gaming, and broadly new areas for AI applications
- Proven track record in going 0 → 1 / new product launches
- Strong bias towards action and responsible execution. Operating with urgency in order to accelerate the bold and responsible impact Google DeepMind can have on the world.
- Adept at creating clarity. Skilled communicator, able to present both verbally and in writing, and deal tactfully with a diverse array of individuals. Experience delivering clear and concise recommendations and updates to leadership team(s).
- Responsive and resilient to difficult, ambiguous and sometimes changing objectives
- Experience in contributing to functionally, geographically and culturally diverse teams
The US base salary range for this full-time position is between $159,000 - $252,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your targeted location during the hiring process.