At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
The Research Insights & Systems Evolution (RISE) are looking for someone who is passionate about working at the intersection of data analytics and stakeholder management in a fast paced, strategic team to improve DeepMind’s internal decision making! This role will help drive the continuing evolution of our research organisation by finding opportunities for improvement through insights.
At DeepMind we've built a unique culture and work environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our special interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards building artificial general intelligence and we have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years.
Our team’s mission is to “Develop an optimal ecosystem to foster and achieve AGI safe and fast ”. We work closely with senior stakeholders to:
- Deliver organisational change initiatives
- Drive Research focused analytics
- Review and design process improvements
Success across these areas has substantial impact across how we organise Research at DeepMind, offering exciting opportunities for cross-disciplinary work and applying/growing your skills.
Your role will encompass working cross-functionally to deliver analytics and tools, contextualised with qualitative information through effective communication and collaboration.
In addition to adapting to constantly evolving priorities, your core set of responsibilities will include:
Deliver critical insights and technical solutions to accelerate research progress.
- Identify areas that the RISE team can have a positive impact by partnering with the organisation to synthesize information and communicate it in an appealing visual way
- Conduct rigorous, verifiable analysis (SQL, Python) to answer relevant organisational questions
- Develop user-friendly tools to enable decision-making
- Tell powerful data stories through reports and dashboards that highlight key insights to enable high quality decision making and prioritisation
- Support the development of analytics efforts across research and the wider business, and advocate data-led insights to stakeholders to help advise decision-making
- Manage several projects simultaneously, exhibiting good project management skills (timelines, expectations, progress, etc.)
Inform opportunities for enhanced knowledge sharing and collaboration across the organisation.
- Build relationships with others across the wider organisation and gain an understanding of their preferences, motivators and needs
- Establish systems to identify improvements and drive future needs around processes on an ongoing basis, through measurement of progress and success metrics
- Role model DeepMind’s values and ways of working, and understand the importance of DeepMind’s culture
Engage with a wide range of teams and partners to keep them informed of the most critical organisational dynamics.
- Knowledge and expertise in project/program management with the skill to navigate through ambiguity and adjust and adapt plans and strategies as project conditions change
- Provide progress updates to key stakeholders and ensure alignment on priorities and expectations
- Engage credibly and articulately when presenting information in order to influence the right outcome
- Contribute to the roll out of new processes with appropriate messaging, bringing clarity to our aims and motivations and ensuring feedback and review are a core part of the process.
What we are looking for in the ideal candidate:
You excel at analytical problem solving, knowing which questions to ask, how to go about answering those questions, and how to ensure that your answer is correct.
You are passionate about ‘storytelling’ with data. You’re great at translating deep analysis into insights and conclusions that everyone can grasp, independent of prior context or expertise. You know how to effectively express uncertainty in your conclusions, and key assumptions that have gone into the analytical process.
You are keen to build your knowledge of programme management and process improvement through collaboration with technical and non-technical individuals.
- You have logical and analytical approach to your work
- You are experienced in extracting, manipulating data and applying statistical analysis to answer organisational questions and achieve program goals
- Experience in bringing data from multiple sources through SQL, Python (Pandas, Scikit-learn, Numpy, Jupyter Notebooks) and Excel
- Experience in preparing insights for stakeholders in the form of visualisation, analytics products, slides, dashboards, and presentations.
- You are skilled in telling stories through data
- Strong communicator, able to develop meaningful relationships with key partners and use these to influence action and outcomes
- Naturally curious and enjoy working across a large range of different subjects with ease, quickly gaining the knowledge you need to be effective
- Passionate about our mission, proactive about learning and acquiring knowledge to improve your experience
If you don’t think you meet all the above criteria please still seriously consider applying! The role and thus the requirements are broad, so we will be excited to discuss how you see yourself contributing across it.
Competitive salary applies.