At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know
Artificial Intelligence could be one of humanity’s most useful inventions. At DeepMind, we’re a team of scientists, engineers, machine learning specialists and more, working together to advance the state of the art in Artificial Intelligence. Our mission is to solve intelligence to advance science and benefit humanity.
Data is playing an increasingly crucial role in research innovation, with improvements in data quality largely responsible for some of the most significant research breakthroughs in recent years.
DeepMind’s research crucially depends on a wide range of internally-generated and externally-sourced data, including datasets specific to particular technical and scientific domains, and custom datasets generated by human interaction with our models, environments, and agents.
The newly formed Business and Corporate Development team enables DeepMind's mission by identifying, supporting, shaping, negotiating and managing strategic opportunities to partner externally. We work in direct collaboration with our world-leading AI researchers, and other partner teams developing an understanding of DM’s research and business strategy and connecting these to business development needs.
We are looking for a Business and Corporate Development Manager to support the nascent Data team which is responsible for the sourcing, acquisition, management, and analysis of data to efficiently fuel DeepMind’s research.
This role would suit someone who has a background in technology transfer, corporate development and/or research partnerships, a passion for impactful research, and enjoys a fast-paced, fluid and collaborative environment.
This is an exciting and rare opportunity to influence, steer and execute DeepMind's data vision, finding opportunities and driving the strategy of data partnerships at DeepMind.
- Develop a deep understanding of DeepMind’s research and business strategy and connect them to B&CD needs
- Serving as lynchpin between internal teams and external partners. Partnering with team leads and internal stakeholders to proactively identify new opportunities, explore options to accelerate impact, assess risks and ethics and initiate or further engagement.
- Leading on inward-looking assessment to identify potential gaps/assets that could be filled/exploited by opportunities external to DM and working with other DM teams to identify external opportunities, key partners and emerging trends.
- Negotiate agreements with external partners to carry out joint research, license technology and data, acquire assets etc.
- Lead cross-functional teams on key transverse strategic initiatives, managing coordination with teams such as Research, Legal, Operations, Finance, Strategy and Operations, Policy & Program Management.
- Tracking and analysing DMs partnerships, establishing internal connections and maximising impact - PoC for key external partners
In order to set you up for success as a BCD Manager at DeepMind we look for the following skills and experience:
- Excited by our mission and AI / Machine Learning
- BSc/MSc/PhD in Computer Science or equivalent technical field (or equivalent work experience)
- Professional experience in business development, strategic negotiations and partnership management in a high growth tech environment.
- Excellent relationship-building, communication, and interpersonal skills, confident in engaging researchers and engineers.
- Proven negotiation skills, problem-solving and analytical skills, with excellent business judgement, thought leadership and innovation.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills to structure deals and handle technical, contractual and financial issues.
- Having worked with large scale datasets and/or machine learning and experience.
- The ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of management including senior executives.
In addition, the following would be an advantage:
- Previous experience in AI/ML industry or research environment
- Proven track-record of commercialising datasets and/or related technologies.
- Experience using a CRM