At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
The Applied team collaborates closely with a wide variety of teams across Google/Alphabet, leveraging DeepMind expertise to deploy advanced machine learning algorithms with the goal of improving Alphabet products and services. We are a driven, collaborative, diverse team based in London and Mountain View. Our current and past engagements include teams in Cloud, Android, Assistant, Youtube and Maps. We collaborate closely with DeepMind's and Google's Research teams on several projects. Each project typically consists of a team of engineers working closely with our product partners and with our researchers, product managers and program managers.
We've built a unique culture and work environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our special interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning and systems neuroscience to build general-purpose learning algorithms. We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs towards building artificial general intelligence, and we have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming year.
We’re a dedicated scientific community, committed to “solving intelligence” and ensuring our technology is used for widespread public benefit. We’ve built a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared freely. We don’t set limits based on what others think is possible or impossible. We drive ourselves and inspire each other to push boundaries and achieve ambitious goals.
We constantly iterate on our workplace experience with the goal of ensuring it encourages a balanced life. From excellent office facilities through to extensive manager support, we strive to support our people and their needs as effectively as possible. Our list of benefits is extensive, and we’re happy to discuss this further throughout the interview process.
The mission of the Applied team is to 'Demonstrate the benefits and potential of DeepMind's AI to the world'. We achieve this by closely collaborating with teams across Google / Alphabet, leveraging DeepMind Research to improve Alphabet's products and services.
We are a driven, ambitious, collaborative, diverse team based in London and Mountain View. Our current collaborations include teams in Cloud, Android, Assistant, and YouTube. We work closely with DeepMind Research teams on all collaborations, and partner with Google AI on several projects.
Each project typically consists of a multi-functional team of engineers, product managers and program managers working closely with our research and product partners.
- Lead a team of research engineers that will partner with DeepMind Research to bring our innovative machine learning to the world through Google / Alphabet products.
- Support and mentor individual contributors to build their careers, and strengthen team members in technical and non-technical areas.
- Support and enable the team to identify the most promising research advances and the products that will benefit from them.
- Delivering organizational projects that accelerate progress toward our mission.
- Build and maintain relationships with DeepMind Research and Google / Alphabet partner teams; understanding their objectives, collaborators, products, constraints, and systems.
In order to set you up for success as a Research Engineering Lead at DeepMind, we look for the following skills and experience:
- BSc in Computer Science, Mathematics, Applied Statistics or Machine Learning or equivalent experience.
- Experience managing research based engineering teams.
- Knowledge of Python/C++, and modern ML libraries e.g. TensorFlow or JAX.
- Experience working on projects from proof-of-concept through to implementation.
In addition, the following would be an advantage:
- MSc/PhD degree in computer science, mathematics, applied stats, machine learning or similar.
- Management or individual contributor experience working on large-scale ML projects.
- Experience in applying experimental ideas to applied problems.
- Cross functional collaboration experience.
- Prior experience collaborating with researchers and working with product teams.
- Entrepreneurial experience is desirable.
What we offer
At DeepMind, we want employees and their families to live happier and healthier lives, both in and out of work, and our benefits reflect that. Some select benefits we offer: enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, private medical and dental insurance for yourself and any dependents, and flexible working options. We strive to continually improve our working environment, and provide you with excellent facilities such as healthy food, an on-site gym, faith rooms, terraces etc.
We are also open to relocating candidates to London and offer a bespoke service and immigration support to make it as easy as possible (depending on eligibility).
Competitive salary applies.