At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
At DeepMind, we've built a unique culture and work environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. As we continue to grow, we are now keen to hire an experienced Program Specialist to join our team and partner specifically with our Workplace Innovation and Experience (WIX) division. This team includes Workplace Operations, Travel, Events, AV Production, Security Operations, Real Estate Projects, Systems and Management Support teams. WIX is central to how we enable our people to make and demonstrate world leading breakthroughs in AI. This role would suit someone who thrives in fast-paced, changing environments.
We’re a dedicated scientific community, committed to “solving intelligence” and ensuring our technology is used for widespread public benefit. We’ve built a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared freely. We don’t set limits based on what others think is possible or impossible. We drive ourselves and inspire each other to push boundaries and achieve ambitious goals.
We constantly iterate on our workplace experience with the goal of ensuring it encourages a balanced life. From excellent office facilities through to extensive manager support, we strive to support our people and their needs as effectively as possible.
Our list of benefits is extensive, and we’re happy to discuss this further throughout the interview process.
This Program Specialist role will be embedded within our Workplace Innovation and Experience (WIX) team. You will be contributing to an exceptionally impactful team and to transformational programs that create the right physical environments for our research to flourish. The team nurtures exceptional performance and fosters a productive and inclusive environment. You will partner closely with Workplace Innovation and Experience Leads, Operations teams, Research teams and stakeholders in the wider organisation.
As a Program Specialist you will be responsible for leading sophisticated programs. You’ll need to apply program management methodologies to multiple initiatives, balancing progress and risk to deliver sustainable change to meet objectives. You will be adept at navigating through ambiguity, guiding and enabling teams to be both highly creative and collaborative. You will utilise your expertise to coach others and develop consistent approaches to project and program management.
Integral to this role is being a long term business partner to the Workplace Innovation and Experience team, supporting leadership to scale and optimise team operations and drive a culture of continuous improvement. You will support long term planning and portfolio management, delivering insights and constructive challenges.
Strategic Portfolio and Program Management:
- Support the Workplace Innovation and Experience leads to develop functional strategies and business plans including the definition of team specific objectives
- Help define strategic priorities and objectives into a portfolio of priority projects and programs
- Define and drive team planning activities, providing challenge and insights throughout
- Maintain perspective of how well the portfolio of priority programs is delivering the agreed strategy.
- Partner with Workplace Innovation and Experience team and program leads to manage specific programs designed to continually enhance the organisation, for example defining our future of work or developing the mechanisms in which we listen to what’s important to DeepMinders
- Drive and shape program strategies and scope from conception through to completion, using your knowledge of relevant program management methodologies and approaches.
- Identify and involve relevant partners and resources required to deliver programs.
- Track progress, maintain up to date information and relevant documentation across priority programs, providing timely progress reports to key stakeholders.
- Be flexible and adaptable to adjust program plans as new information is gained or as program conditions change.
- Continually optimise ways of organising this team’s work to achieve goals
- Facilitate clarity where ambiguity exists helping to create focus on next steps, actions and task owners
- Be an ambassador for change, and support others through the change cycle
- Partner with this team and its leads to build the conditions and dynamics needed to produce extraordinary pioneering and mission focussed work
- Provide objective support and advice, proactively seeking opportunities for operational improvement. Be responsible for the development and implementation of such opportunities.
- Facilitate brainstorming and idea sharing, whether to identify key themes, simplify sophisticated problems or discover solutions
- Build relationships with a range of key stakeholders from across the organisation
- Support the building of an inclusive environment and role model the DeepMind values
- Source and evaluate relevant vendors, and negotiate contracts which will require relevant domain understanding
Understanding AI and DeepMind
- Seek opportunities to continually deepen understanding of our research within the AGI domain
- Demonstrate a curious attitude and a commitment to continuous learning about pioneering research and technology
- Understanding the role of the Workplace Innovation and Experience team to inform how you enable this team
We’re looking for a hardworking and ambitious individual who wants to be part of an outstanding team, in an inspiring and collaborative environment. This is your chance to play a key role in something extraordinary with the opportunity to have real impact!
In order to set you up for success as a Program Specialist at DeepMind, we look for the following skills and experience:
- Deep knowledge and expertise of program and portfolio management including adapting methodologies and tools to suit the needs of the team and of the project
- You have experience and interest in program managing complex high profile programs, along with organisational change management
- Experience working cross-functionally, collaborating with a variety of teams and partners, and experience handling external vendors and agencies to deliver on projects and programs
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills and can use these when interacting with key partners
- Relevant experience in building relationships with people with a wide range of experience You display a curious mentality and seize opportunities to acquire new knowledge.