At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
The role of the Program Management Team is to organise and enable our research teams to be the best at what they do and to make fast-paced progress towards our mission. We continually pursue scalable and sustainable ways to optimise research, striving to ensure we cultivate an environment where people can be both highly collaborative and deeply creative, making responsible and pioneering research progress at pace. We build strong relationships with teams, bringing clarity to ambiguity and providing stability during change. We are active, curious and thoughtful about deepening our understanding of people; their preferences, their needs and their work. We use our coaching skills to support and enable people and teams to do their best work together. We continually deepen our domain knowledge, working alongside researchers and engineers to ensure all our work is advancing towards our mission.
As a Program Manager, you will lead sophisticated programs within Operations. You’ll need to apply program management methodologies to multiple initiatives, balancing progress and risk to deliver sustainable change to meet objectives. You will be adept at navigating through ambiguity, guiding and enabling teams to be both highly creative and collaborative. You will utilise your expertise to coach others and develop consistent approaches to project and program management.
You will partner objectively and independently with teams across Operations which includes People & Culture, Workplace Innovation & Experience, Creative & Marketing, Communications and Public Affairs. This collaborative, diverse group is situated primarily in London, and partners closely with a wide variety of teams across Google, Alphabet and other external partners, to ensure our day to day operations run smoothly
- End to end project planning and delivery across Operations teams, utilising knowledge of project methodologies including tools and techniques such as stand ups, retrospectives, agile boards and project plans to deliver solutions
- Collaborate and partner with Operational Team Leads to understand their objectives, vision and strategy
- Be responsible for the full portfolio of these teams’ initiatives, working with leaders across the organisation to ensure alignment with the organisation’s overall mission and to deliver meaningful impact
- Lead a team of program managers to deliver against a range of objectives within Operations, providing leadership, advice and guidance on projects and programs
- Invest in the development and capabilities of your team, driving improvement and encouraging continual learning through coaching
- Lead brainstorms and idea sharing, support the team to simplify complex problems and assert influence over outcomes and solution
- Track progress, maintain up to date information and relevant documentation and anticipate and propose solutions to issues and risks and share critical information with key partners
- Evaluate the success of programs against their aims, goals and objectives, and share lessons and insight across the wider business
- Facilitate conversations, meetings and opportunities for collaboration to drive the best outcomes, ensuring you bring clarity where ambiguity exists
- Drive engagement across the team by building relationships, sharing constructive feedback and challenging established ways of thinking
- Conduct regular retrospectives on successes and failures and provide independent analysis
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in program management, with the proven skill to navigate through ambiguity and adjust and adapt plans and strategies as project conditions change
- Experience supporting teams in fast-paced and constantly changing environments, acting as a sounding board and coach as individuals go through the change cycle
- Depth of knowledge and experience in utilising coaching techniques to support individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds in a dynamic and pioneering environment
- Experience in managing a team to effectively deliver programs and projects that cover the breadth of Operations
- Experience in solving challenging operational challenges, implementing scalable and sustainable solutions, bringing simplicity to complex process and ideas
- Strong communication skills, ability to develop meaningful relationships with key partners and use this to influence outcomes
- You are proactive about acquiring knowledge to enhance the impact you have, demonstrate a curious attitude, and a commitment to learning and understanding more about work within Operations
- You are demonstrably passionate about solving AGI, proactive about learning and acquiring knowledge to enhance your domain knowledge