At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, maternity or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
The role of the Program Management team is to coordinate and enable our teams to be the best at what they do and to make fast-paced progress towards our mission. We continually pursue scalable and sustainable ways to optimize work on real world applications, encouraging an environment where people can be both highly collaborative and deeply creative, making responsible and groundbreaking research progress at pace. We build strong relationships with teams and team members, bringing clarity to ambiguity and providing stability during change. We continually deepen our domain knowledge, working alongside engineers, researchers, and product managers to execute on programs and projects with our partners.
At DeepMind, we've built a unique culture and work environment where long-term ambitious research can flourish. Our special interdisciplinary team combines the best techniques from deep learning, reinforcement learning, and systems neuroscience to build general-purpose learning algorithms. The Applied Team works on collaboration opportunities with Google / Alphabet to incubate groundbreaking research and deploy advanced machine learning algorithms to improve Alphabet products and services. We are a creative, collaborative, diverse team working closely with DeepMind Research as well as product and research teams inside Alphabet!
All of our projects are collaborations, so the Program Management team plays a critical role in managing expectations for internal and external stakeholders, helping with relationship management, and serving as an evangelist for machine learning technologies.
There are three core strands to this role:
- Planning and Leading Projects
- Enabling Teams
- Domain Knowledge
- Support the team with all required elements of end-to-end project planning and delivery, using your knowledge of project methodologies including tools and techniques such as stand ups, retrospectives, agile boards, project plans, etc.
- Track progress, maintain up-to-date information and relevant technical documentation, anticipate and propose solutions to issues and risks
- Lead brainstorms and idea sharing, help to identify key themes, simplify complex problems and discover solutions
- Work with your team to organize and optimize work into clear goals and objectives and evaluate the success of programs against their achievements
- See opportunities to improve ways of working, tools or processes
- Partner closely with your engineering team lead as a strategic thought partner
- Develop a coaching relationship with team members, sharing feedback, challenging established ways of thinking and inspiring them to achieve their full potential; enable them to collaborate, gain new perspectives and solve problems
- Facilitate conversations, meetings and opportunities for collaboration, both internally and externally (e.g., with Google partners), to drive the best outcomes; create connections and relationships
- Support team-wide programs to scale efficient operations and team development; evaluate and improve processes, tools and documentation
- Demonstrate a curious mentality and develop technical know-how: engage with engineers and researchers, and understand technical language, systems, and techniques
We highly value strong Program Managers who are willing to help out with whatever moves our projects forward. You’ll need to display the following:
- Knowledge and expertise in project/program management with the skill to navigate through ambiguity and adjust and adapt plans and strategies as project conditions change
- Significant experience supporting teams to deliver projects in fast-paced and constantly evolving environments
- Experience solving complex challenges, and implementing scalable and sustainable solutions
- Highly organized with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize accordingly
- Ability to foster respect, inclusion, and collaboration when working with teams, and are skilled in building relationships and fostering trust with a diverse group of people
- Strong communicator, able to influence action and outcomes
- Able to listen to different views and challenge your own assumptions, encouraging others to do the same
- Proactive about learning and acquiring knowledge to enhance your domain knowledge
- Curious to learn about AI/machine learning research and engineering fundamentals, and excited by the opportunity to solve AGI and the benefits this can bring to our world
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
Competitive salary applies