About the Orchestration Team:
Join dbt Labs as an Sr. Engineering Manager to guide and nurture the team building job orchestration - the heart of our cloud platform.
dbt enables all data practitioners to adopt the best practices of software engineers into their data workflows. Our Orchestration team owns cloud CI/CD workflows for data, powering all dbt transformations into customer warehouses. The team is responsible for over 12 million builds per month/900 million minutes of compute annually, serving diverse customers from startups to the biggest names in retail, media, and tech. We have compelling features planned for this year, and we are looking for an engineering manager excited by the challenge of improving a high throughput system while delighting customers with new capabilities.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Build, support, and lead a team of 8 highly engaged engineers
- Own your roadmap together with your product partner
- Build technical strategy for orchestration, optimizing for the success of our customers and the long-term quality of our systems
- Drive prioritization and execution, making necessary tradeoffs among time, scope, velocity, quality, and operational performance
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to help them grow their skills and their careers
- Collaborate across EMs to build and evolve engineering at dbt Labs
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3+ years of technical management experience as an engineering manager
- A track record of delivering high-quality and performant products
- Are iterative in approach, with a customer-centric mindset
- Driven in-depth discussions with engineers about decisions they are making, especially around scaling and reliability.
- Fostered sound technical decision-making by the team, and across nearby teams
- A track-record of developing engineers at all levels, and increasing the skillset and capabilities of their team
- Is value-oriented, and shares our company values
- Experience building job or workflow orchestration systems
- Experience with maturing Python/Django codebases, Golang, Kubernetes, or analytics engineering
- Experience building products for large enterprise customers
- Experience building products for data and analytics users
- Exceptional written communication skills
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $190,000 - $262,000
- Equity Stake*
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews via Zoom unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with the VP of Engineering
- Team interviews (1:1s) with Orchestration team members and other stakeholders
- A values interview with the VP of Engineering
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 30,000 companies using dbt every week, 100,000 dbt Community members, and 4,100 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter.
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at email@example.com if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.