dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
About the team:
The mission of the Security Engineering team at dbt Labs is to provide clear, opinionated security guidance and scalable, secure-by-default offerings to engineers for the purpose of securing software development and enabling pragmatic risk decisions at dbt.
Our small team size and wide scope of responsibilities require that we work intelligently to address the security needs of dbt’s products. We aim to put yesterday’s problems behind us through a mix of OSS/COTS solutions for commodity problems and using ingenuity to solve the rest.
As an engineer on this central team, you will have the opportunity to own outsized impact on how securely engineers at dbt are able to build software and infrastructure.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Perform application and/or infrastructure security assessments and develop remediation strategies.
- Partner with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure security maturity work is being prioritized and addressed.
- Eliminate classes of security problems by shifting detection and prevention left in the development workflow.
- Identify new opportunities for improved security posture across the organization and lead those efforts to success.
- Build and deploy automation tooling for the monotonous work so you can focus on the fun stuff.
- Conduct security investigations across complex cloud environments in response to incidents or bug bounty submissions.
- Be part of the team’s weekly on-call rotation.
- Play a pivotal role in maturing our application and infrastructure security programs.
- Move quickly and never stop learning (we have a training budget of $5k/person/year).
You are a good fit if you:
- Have 2+ years of professional experience in software or security engineering.
- Have an engineering-focused approach to solving security problems at scale.
- Use data to assess risk, determine priorities, and measure impact.
- Can demonstrate specialization in application security or infrastructure security.
- Have worked asynchronously as part of a fully-remote, distributed team.
You may not be a good fit if you:
- Are not comfortable writing and reviewing code on a daily basis (e.g., Python, Terraform).
- Don’t have experience building or securing distributed systems on public clouds (we currently use AWS and Azure).
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $135,000 - 165,000
- Equity Stake
- Benefits: In the US, dbt Labs offers unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!), 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, paid parental leave (16 weeks), wellness stipend, and a home office stipend. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with Hiring Manager
- Technical Screen (Scripting)
- Team Interviews (Secure System Design and Technical Security)
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.