Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our fast paced growing team.
A Look Inside the Job
As a member of Datto’s BCDR Engineering Productivity team, you will develop, enhance, and maintain tools which are integral to the software development and testing of multiple Datto groups (BCDR Agents/Device/Azure, SaaS, Portals, et cetera). The current team consists of 4 software engineers who spend ~75% of their collective time doing active software development and ~25% on IT/DevOps tasks. The tasks include opening merge requests to add new features and fix bugs, managing of internal hardware (60+ server nodes), upkeeping of 20+ hypervisors instances/configurations, and patching of ~40 golden VM images.
Datto’s BCDR devices are Linux powered backup appliances that perform block-level snapshots of physical, virtual, and public cloud based servers. Backup data is stored as raw disk images in a local ZFS-based disk array.
In the event of data loss, customers can recover data in a variety of ways including: restoring files or directories, mounting volumes as iSCSI targets or Samba shares, launching a backup as a local or remotely hosted virtual machine, or deploying a backup to physical hardware.
- You have a passion for software engineering, technology, and continuous learning
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are a self-starter and thrive in a fast paced environment
- You offer new ideas and a unique point of view
- You look forward to collaborating with diverse teams
- You eagerly seek and give help
- You are inquisitive and focused, and see every challenge as an opportunity
- You would rather create the future than wait for it
- Transparency tops your list of values, and you contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion
In this job you will:
- Work on complex systems that rely on internal and external libraries using multiple programming languages
- Contribute to the continual improvement of the architecture and code base
- Troubleshoot low level OS and file system issues
- Collaborate with multiple teams to improve the internal tool’s performance, scalability, durability, and security
- Develop solutions leveraging Virtual Machine technology and integrations with VMware ESX & Hyper-V APIs
- 8+ years of professional experience developing solutions in an object-oriented language such as Java, Scala, Go, PHP, C++, or C#
- B.S. or M.S. in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, design patterns, and algorithms
- Familiarity with hypervisors (VMWare, Hyper-v, VirtualBox, KVM, etc)
- Familiarity with PHP, Apache, Symfony, NGINX, Ubuntu
- Familiarity with zfs or similar COW filesystems
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and containerization efforts
- Familiarity with object storage technologies
- Experience with relational database design principles (e.g., MySQL)
Note: We are looking for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 15,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Transit subsidy in select cities
- Education reimbursement
- Free catered lunch every Friday
- Gorgeous modern office space
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.