As the world’s leading provider of cloud-based software and technology solutions delivered by managed service providers (MSPs), Datto believes there is no limit to what small and medium businesses can achieve with the right technology. Datto offers Unified Continuity, Networking, and Business Management solutions and has created a one-of-a-kind ecosystem of MSP partners. These partners provide Datto solutions to over one million businesses across the globe. Since its founding in 2007, Datto continues to win awards each year for its rapid growth, product excellence, superior technical support, and for fostering an outstanding workplace. With headquarters in Norwalk, Connecticut, Datto has global offices in the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Canada, Australia, China, and Singapore. Learn more at datto.com.
Datto is seeking a systems administrator to execute on security initiatives within Infrastructure Engineering. This person is a technical contributor who will build and maintain infrastructure focused security solutions. This individual will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing initiatives that improve the security posture of Datto’s infrastructure. To fulfill the job requirements, maintaining relationships between other departments is a must, including Information Security and Software Engineering.
An ideal candidate for this role is an exceptional systems administration with a passion for security. Prior experience as a security focused systems administrator is not required, but the candidate must have some past experience demonstrating capability in this domain. This person must have strong communication and project management skills.
The individual will work on a wide variety of interesting technical problems, operate at scale in an environment with over an exabyte of data, have opportunities to green field solutions, and operate with both autonomy and empowerment from senior leadership.
- Plan and execute Infrastructure Engineering security initiatives.
- Build and operate key security related infrastructure.
- Work with stakeholders to refine the acceptance criteria of security objectives.
- Provide security centric guidance during design and maintenance.
- Iterate on security guidelines, raising expectations for new and existing infrastructure.
Experience and Qualifications
- Prior experience as a systems administrator.
- Working understanding of modern security vulnerabilities and best practices.
- Strong background in Linux.
- Experience scripting and automating workflows (e.g., BASH, Python, Perl).
- Worked in a large server environment (1000+ servers).
- Foundational understanding of networking.
- Experience troubleshooting complex systems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Limited off-hours support is required.
- Limited travel may be required.
- On-prem and/or hybrid clouds
- Infrastructure as Code tools (e.g., terraform, cloudformation)
- Host-based security controls (e.g., IPTables, mod_security, HIDS, FIM)
- Configuration management tools (e.g., puppet, salt, ansible, chef)
- Virtualization technologies (e.g., KVM, OpenStack, oVirt)
- Container Orchestration systems (e.g., kubernetes, OpenShift, nomad)
- Centralized logging (e.g., ELK stack, splunk)
- Secret stores (e.g., HashiCorp Vault)
- CI/CD systems (e.g., Gitlab CI, GitHub Actions, CircleCI, Jenkins)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with a passion for documentation.
- Excellent project management skills with the capability to manage concurrent initiatives.
- Works effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong work ethic and an insatiable desire to learn.
- Thrives in a team based environment leaving ego at the door.
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Transit subsidy in select cities
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)