Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a DevOps Database Engineer to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 17,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide. You will report to the Sr Manager, Database Engineering.
More than someone who checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work and grow at Datto. If that's you, we hope you apply for the role!
You enjoy teamwork
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You would rather create the future than wait for it.
You’re customer-focused and take pride in your work.
You put extra attention into details with all you do. You care about the work you provide to customers and how it reflects on yourself and Datto. When you find or see something wrong, you attempt to resolve it. You look for opportunities to not only better yourself, but others around you. You aim to be the best that you can be and always do the right thing.
What You’ll Do
The DevOps Database Engineer will continuously enhance the automation of database deployments and maintenance for the Datto Cloud infrastructure. You’ll work closely with various stakeholders to understand their needs for databases. Given that understanding, you will make recommendations and provide self-service offerings that enable stakeholders to deploy, monitor and maintain the right databases for their needs.
Your job function and responsibilities include:
- Develop systems to further automate the deployment and maintenance of database services
- Enhance automated functions including, monitoring, backup, recovery, high availability, user management, access control and audit logging
- Add automated tests for every function on a continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform
- Collaborate with stakeholders to further understand their needs for databases, make recommendations and ultimately deploy solutions in the form of the databases and their orchestration
- Collaborate on the development of a content catalog to enable stakeholders to deploy their own solutions
- Collaborate with Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) to ensure that use of content catalog provides the insights and control they need to guarantee uptime
- Provide second tier support for database issues
- Provide first tier on-call support for legacy instances of databases, including participation with four other team members in a 24X7 pager rotation
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience with databases including MySQL, PosgtreSQL, Redis, Cassandra and CockRoachDB
- Experience with software development, automation, infrastructure as code, and data-driven analysis
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, and Salt
- Hands-on experience with mainline programming and scripting languages such as Bash and Python
- Familiar with standard tools and platforms that enable continuous delivery such as GitLab, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker, JIRA, and ServiceNow.
- Significant experience with virtualized and bare metal infrastructure; OpenStack experience strongly preferred
- Experience with monitoring and management
- Strong root cause analysis and troubleshooting competency
- Strong tendency to automate and monitor everything
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to operate in a fast paced environment
- Self-motivated & willing to learn
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.