As the world’s leading provider of cloud-based software and technology solutions delivered by managed service providers (MSPs), Datto believes there is no limit to what small and medium businesses can achieve with the right technology. Datto offers Unified Continuity, Networking, and Business Management solutions and has created a one-of-a-kind ecosystem of MSP partners. These partners provide Datto solutions to over one million businesses across the globe. Since its founding in 2007, Datto continues to win awards each year for its rapid growth, product excellence, superior technical support, and for fostering an outstanding workplace. With headquarters in Norwalk, Connecticut, Datto has global offices in the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Canada, Australia, China, and Singapore. Learn more at datto.com.
More than someone who checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work and grow at Datto. If that's you we hope you apply for the role!
You enjoy teamwork
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You would rather create the future than wait for it.
You’re customer-focused and take pride in your work.
You put extra attention into details with all you do. You care about the work you provide to customers and how it reflects on yourself and Datto. When you find or see something wrong, you attempt to resolve it. You look for opportunities to not only better yourself, but others around you. You aim to be the best that you can be and always do the right thing.
What you’ll do
The Senior Site Reliability Engineer will ensure the overall system reliability, uptime, health, and performance of the Datto SaaS Protection service. You’ll work closely with various stakeholders to understand the architecture and design of Datto SaaS Protection in order to help quickly resolve service impacting issues, detect and self-heal problems before they become service impacting, and provide valuable information and data back to the developers in order to improve the long-term reliability of the platform.
Your job function and responsibilities include:
- Develop, deploy, operate, and maintain the appropriate systems, services, and tooling for Datto’s SaaS Protection service that provides constant feedback to stakeholders
- Implement best practices promoting service availability/reliability and fault tolerance
- Serve as a quality and reliability ambassador as part of an Agile software development team
- Drive product reliability improvements through monitoring, alerting, and application of software development best practices
- Identify creative ways to break the products, uncover and report defects, as well as validate systems/solutions are operating as intended
- Write, review, and execute test plans/strategies for validating product/system performance, scalability, and reliability
- Contribute to test frameworks and environments for executing performance, scale, system, and resiliency tests
- Write code to automate operational tasks, reducing the need for human interaction and improving the reliability and repeatability of these processes
- Assist in finding, reproducing, and characterizing defects and triaging them with Product Management, Software Development, and SRE team members.
- Participate in release processes/pipelines and monitoring/debugging production environments.
- Maintain open communication with Engineering and Product teams around system performance and reliability
- Educate your peers in QA, Engineering, and Product around performance and scalability best-practices, metrics, and guidelines
- Maintain and communicate testing timelines, schedules and status reports
- Suggest and drive efforts to improve testing processes and methodology, metrics collection / success measurement, test coverage, and product reliability
- Troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively; continually improve processes and reliability based on post-mortem analysis
- Participate in a rotational on-call program and enhance troubleshooting techniques and utilities to ensure quick resolution to service impacting issues
- Other duties as assigned by Management
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or Software Engineering; or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with performance, scalability, and reliability testing techniques, tools, and activities
- Experience with software build, package, configuration and release management tools (eg. Gitlab, Jenkins, Ansible, Salt, Puppet)
- Proficient with Linux, MySQL, and Shell scripting
- Familiar with containerization (Docker/Kubernetes) concepts
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming languages and concepts (Python, Java, Golang, etc..)
- Knowledge of infrastructure (networking, hypervisors, storage, security, etc.) - experience working with a private cloud is a plus
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively
- Able to find opportunities for improvement and tackle them without external direction
- Ability to “think outside of the box” and find creative solutions to operational problems
- Dedication to collaboration, “teaching others to fish”-style knowledge sharing and cross training.
- Solid understanding of agile software product cycles (scrum & kanban)
- Independent contributor who enjoys taking ownership of things and driving them to completion
- Strong root cause analysis and troubleshooting competency
- Strong tendency to automate and monitor everything
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to operate in a fast paced environment
- Self-motivated & willing to learn
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience with testing APIs and implementing API automated testing
- Exposure to writing automated tests with common test frameworks such as Pytest
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Kibana and Grafana
- Familiarity with success measurement (SLI/SLO/SLA)
- Experience with metrics collection, time series queries, middleware such as Telegraf, and backends such as OpenTSDB or Prometheus
- Exposure to chaos engineering tools and load testing techniques at scale
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data following our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.