Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 14,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
A Look Inside the Job:
The Core Products Team enhances and maintains the software powering the SIRIS and Alto business continuity and disaster recovery products (~80,000 devices deployed across all 7 continents). In a nutshell, these BCDR products are appliances that take block-level backups of physical or virtual Windows, Linux, and Mac machines, transforms them into raw disk images, and then stores the resultant images in a local ZFS-based disk array. The devices also provide secondary backup by offsiting to the Datto cloud. In the event of a disaster, our customers can then restore these backups in a variety of formats including local or remotely hosted virtual machines, iSCSI targets, Samba shares, or use them to provision replacement physical hardware. The same software powering these devices is also packaged as a virtual appliance which can integrate directly with our customers virtual environments.
The devices provide a web UI (much like a router), but the real magic happens in the backend services and processes. We do amazing and exciting things every day, such as detecting when a VM has booted successfully, injecting drivers into the Windows registry before boot, or generating vmdk files on the fly.
- B.S. or M.S. in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of professional experience with object-oriented or functional programming using languages such as Java, PHP, Python, C++, or C#
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, design patterns, and algorithms
- Proficient with Linux and shell scripting
- Experience developing automation of VM environments, preferably using VMware ESX and Hyper-V APIs
- Experience with open source projects such as libvirt and QEMU Knowledge of overlay networks/SDN with VMs (e.g., OpenFlow, Open V-Switch)
- Knowledge of networking concepts (VLAN, TCP/IP, Multicast, Unicast, OSI)
- Deep understanding of COW or distributed file systems such as CEPH, ZFS, Btrfs
- Deep understanding of infrastructure (firewalls, iptables, ipsec, hypervisor, storage, monitoring, security, etc.) and have experience with orchestration to develop a cloud solution
- Experience debugging low-level Linux issues
- Passionate technologist looking to teach and learn from the best in software development
- Independent, driven, creative, and like to take ownership
- Thrive in an agile fast paced environment
Note: We are looking for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Transit subsidy in select cities
- Education reimbursement
- Free catered lunch every Friday
- Gorgeous modern office space
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.