Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 14,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
You will report to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering.
A Look Inside the Job:
The Core Products Team maintains and develops new features for all of Datto’s backup appliances (SIRIS, Alto, …). In a nutshell, the backup device is a physical (or virtual) appliance that takes block-level backups of Windows, Mac, and Linux machines turns them into raw disk images and stores them on a local ZFS-based disk array. In the case of a disaster, our customers can then restore these backups/disk images instantly as KVM-based virtual machines, iSCSI targets, Samba shares, and many other formats. We also offer a virtual VMware/Hyper-V-based appliance and integrate with their hypervisors. We write code mainly in modern Symfony-based PHP (with some Python and C sprinkled in), but we strongly rely on our Ubuntu-based Linux stack. Our appliance has a web UI (much like a router), but the main magic happens in the backend services and processes. We do amazing and exciting things every day, such as detecting when a VM has booted successfully, injecting drivers into the Windows registry before boot, or generating vmdk files on the fly.
On top of that, we work with lots of low-level technologies, such as hypervisors. As you may have noticed, this is not your average PHP webdev gig! You’ll be working in one of our three Scrum teams, developing our SIRIS and Alto product. Each team consists of about five engineers.
- Passionate technologist looking to teach and learn from the best in software development
- Independent, driven, creative, and like to take ownership
- 5+ years of experience in an object-oriented or functional languages such as Java, PHP, C++, C# or Scala
- Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures and algorithms
- Experience developing automation of VM environments, preferably using VMware ESX and Hyper-V APIs
- Experience with open source projects such as libvirt and QEMU Knowledge of overlay networks/SDN with VMs (e.g., OpenFlow, Open V-Switch)
- Knowledge of networking concepts (VLAN, TCP/IP, Multicast, Unicast, OSI)
- Deep understanding of COW or distributed file systems such as CEPH, ZFS, Btrfs
- Deep understanding of infrastructure (firewalls, iptables, ipsec, hypervisor, storage, monitoring, security, etc.) and have experience with orchestration to develop a cloud solution
- Experience debugging low-level Linux issues
- Excel in an energized Agile environment
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Transit subsidy in select cities
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.