Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Computer Hardware Engineer to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 14,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
Hardware Engineering at Datto designs unique computer and server hardware solutions to ensure the best product experience for our customers. This includes everything from researching new hardware and computer technologies, developing new systems, and building prototypes. If you have experience with designing products and configuring computer systems, Datto has a job for you! You will report to the Product Manager.
Does This Describe You:
You're a hands-on tinkerer who enjoys building products, collaborating with global suppliers and engineers to push boundaries with new technologies.
A Look Inside the Job:
- Identify, design and test computer hardware for new products
- Develop custom-off the shelf hardware solutions from product concept to launch
- Collaborate with test engineers to verify the compatibility and performance of components and system
- Assist with engineering documentation; schematics, models, 3D designs, assembly, and test procedures, bill of materials, etc.
- Collect, analyze and present statistical data regarding system and component performance
- Lead collaboration with vendors for understanding new technologies and offerings
- Analyze existing systems to identify flaws and inefficiencies
- Make modifications to existing systems, by evaluating and suggesting new components, layouts, and designs to improve efficiency
- Develop, and modify electronic circuitry, subsystems, enclosures, or other hardware elements of products/systems
- Develop and conduct functional and environmental (thermal, electromagnetic compatibility, etc.) verification tests of new designs or modified existing designs to evaluate circuit and hardware performance against internal and external quality requirements
- Maintain knowledge of the latest computer industry trends and understanding of how to implement them in systems
- Analyze complex computer hardware to determine the best way to improve it
- Design new types of information technology or IOT devices
- Use logic and reasoning to clarify goals, examine assumptions, and identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions to problems
- Identify complex problems in computer hardware, develop and evaluate solutions, and figure out the best way to implement them
- Engage with PC component manufacturers
- Create and manage Hardware BOM’s
- Communicate with our Build factory to ensure product production and assembly
- At least three years of applicable professional hardware design experience
- Experience working with suppliers to create products is a must
- Knowledge of:
- Computer system components
- HDD, SSD, PCIe, SATA, NVMe, SAS, NAND, RAID, HBAs, NICs, consumer and server grade CPU/motherboards
- Multiple Phase AC power and DC power systems
- O-Scope, DMM, Spectrum analyzer, DAQ
- Machine learning
- BS Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Experience with ZFS, PHP, Python, C/C++, or bash
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Transit subsidy in select cities
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.