Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 14,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
We're looking for a motivated, self-starting, Sr. Site Reliability Engineer to help pioneer this role at Datto. The Sr. Site Reliability Engineer attaches to our Core Products Team, which maintains and develops new features for all of Datto’s backup appliances (~75K devices and growing quickly). The backup device is a physical or virtual appliance that takes block-level backups of Windows, Mac, and Linux machines, turns them into raw disk images and stores them on a local ZFS-based disk array. In the case of a disaster, our customers restore these backups/disk-images instantly as KVM-based virtual machines, iSCSI targets, Samba shares, and many other formats. We also offer a virtual VMware/Hyper-V-based appliance and integrate with their hypervisors. We write code in modern Symfony-based PHP (with some Python and C++ sprinkled in), and we strongly rely on our Ubuntu-based Linux stack. We do amazing and exciting things every day, such as detecting when a VM has booted successfully, injecting drivers into the Windows registry before boot, and generating vmdk files on the fly. On top of that, we work with many low-level technologies, such as hypervisors and the ZFS filesystem. This is not your average PHP webdev gig! You will report to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering.
Does This Describe You:
You're a technical expert!
A Look Inside the Job:
- Collaborate with Product and Software Development teams to determine the Core products reliability strategy including Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and Indicators (SLIs)
- Guide product reliability improvement through monitoring, alerting, and application of software development best practices
- Collect SLI metrics and establish monitoring based on SLO thresholds and other product requirements
- Establish and configure transaction volume, traffic, performance, and error rate monitoring including alert thresholds, capacity planning, and performance impact analysis
- You will participate in SRE software engineering, writing code for the continuing reduction of human intervention in operational tasks and automation of processes
- Troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively
- Develop a balanced on-call program with appropriate staffing
- Communicate with Users, Support, and Development teams in the event of an incident
- Diagnose and develop root cause solutions for failures and performance issues in our production environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Strong root cause analysis and troubleshooting competency
- Experience working with automation and data-driven analysis
- Experience with OOP languages such as Java, PHP, C#, or C++
- Solid understanding of Objection Oriented Programming fundamentals
- Experience with distributed systems, hypervisors or file systems
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Transit subsidy in select cities
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.