Digital and Design Manager
The Digital and Design Manager will oversee Data & Society’s visual and digital presence on social media, the website, and through all publications and visual communications products. This role will develop the organization’s design ethos and provide creative leadership for the visual direction of its outputs and brand, proposing new digital and design products to the Director of Communications and piloting approved projects. In addition to ensuring a regular stream of alluring, original digital assets to tell the story of our work, the DDM will be a true brand champion who interprets, translates, and extends our brand products into new audience experiences.
- Working closely with colleagues to ensure Data & Society’s brand identity, outputs, and other works are visually and expertly represented across all organizational products and sites;
- Maintaining the website, including regular updates to introduce new features and approach to share our work with the world;
- Managing design associates and contractors and delegating responsibilities and projects as needed;
- Concepting, scoping, presenting, refining, and executing resonant contemporary design concepts for new research releases—including reports, supplementary materials, web and social media assets;
- Proposing and piloting new digital content ideas to increase internal and external awareness of key events and organizational changes, including the launch of new research, special events, and other relevant topics of interest;
- Proposing new digital/design content for branding of Data & Society’s identity externally;
- Ensuring timely project scoping, resourcing, and delivery; on the design side, this includes recruiting and managing trusted third-party collaborators including programmers, layout designers, illustrators, audio producers, photographers, and filmmakers;
- Overseeing management of all digital media assets to ensure accessibility and consistent storage practices and file naming conventions are standardized
- Improving content and product design, user-experience (UX), web traffic and digital presence; and
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- A BFA in Graphic Design or similar with 3 years of practical design experience required, or 7 years of comparable digital design and audiovisual training and experience with a diverse portfolio of digital projects;
- Demonstrated skill in diplomatic cross-disciplinary facilitation, lateral communication, and design team management;
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver), Sketch, Wordpress, and Google Office required;
- Familiarity with HTML coding is a plus;
- Management experience required, with comfort accepting feedback and staging collaborative revision cycles for academics and other non-design professionals;
- Previous experience working with clients in tech, government, or nonprofits is a plus.
- This is a full-time, exempt position in the Communications Department.
- This is currently a remote position. Data & Society is based in New York City, and will for the foreseeable future operate as a Remote-First organization.
- While this role will start as completely virtual, it may likely involve onsite components in the future.
- Annual salary is $90-108k, commensurate with experience. You will be offered a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance and access to a range of opt-in products and services including additional insurance and 401k management as well as paid time off, and paid federal holidays.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States; we are unable to sponsor visas.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, your involvement in previous design projects, and why you would be a good fit for this position;
- Your resume/CV is required.
- A link to your portfolio is required for final rounds.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with an ideal start date of February 15, 2022. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com should you have any questions about the position. Questions about this opportunity or process will not reflect negatively on your application.
About Data & Society
Data & Society focuses on the social and cultural issues arising from data-centric technological development. We seek to inform and develop frames for discussion of these complex issues both through our own research and through supporting the expansion of a nascent field of actors concerned about these topics. We want to be a resource, a catalyst, and a convener as new sectors recognize the complexity of the issues and the need for trade-offs when they increase their reliance on data as a tool for management and decision-making.
We see the field as comprised of researchers, journalists, policymakers, technologists, industry leaders and workers, funders, advocates, and civil society actors. We are committed to helping this field engage substantively, and with an evidence base, in debates over implications arising from the increasing reliance on data at scale to automated decision-making across a range of sectors.
The work and well-being of Data & Society is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.
Data & Society provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.