Senior Editor, Communications
This is an exciting new role on Data & Society’s Communications team. Working with the Director of Communications and the extended team, the Senior Editor, Communications (Senior Editor) has a tremendous opportunity to shape public discourse around the implications of data-centric and automated technologies in society. This role contributes to Data & Society’s mission and advances our goals of narrative change about technology and society. Our editorial work will advance the messages, brand, and public position of one of the most respected research organizations in our field.
The ideal candidate is a passionate reader, writer, curator and editor involved deeply in public debates around tech and society, and will bring a vision for how to communicate complex and future-shaping ideas concisely and thoughtfully. The Senior Editor is invested in recognizing and elevating contributors and ideas from across a range of experiences and communities, finding the right editorial vehicles for the greatest reach and impact, and leading Data & Society’s editorial positioning with equity and inclusion.
The Senior Editor oversees all work to build Data & Society’s editorial brand, public engagement messaging and non-research editorial products. They are responsible for website content and editorial development; social media voice and strategy; newsletter production and other serialized D&S publications; editorial direction of Points, the Data & Society blog; public-facing editorial content from the development team such as the Annual Report and year-end campaign messaging; and cohesive stakeholder engagement messaging for new research releases in collaboration with the Managing Director, Policy Director, and Program Directors.
The Senior Editor also is responsible for proposing new editorial products, such as new forms of digital and print content, to the Director of Communications, and piloting approved projects. This role will manage future associate role(s) to ensure all public-facing organizational communications are timely, current, and aligned with our brand. The Senior Editor collaborates with the Program Manager, Research Production and Editorial to align editorial vision across research publications and other editorial products.
- Overseeing and producing, from concept to completion, a broad range of communication materials, including social media, website copy and features, external op-eds and articles, and Data & Society’s weekly newsletter and Medium blog;
- Using organizational editorial products to increase public awareness of key events and organizational changes, including the launch of new research, special events, and new organizational directions or priorities;
- Creating cohesive engagement messaging to guide new research releases in collaboration with the Managing Director, Policy Director, and Program Directors;
- Working with Data & Society’s Development team on public-facing development editorial content and messaging such as the Annual Report and year-end fundraising campaign;
- Managing the Editorial and/or Social Media Associates as they are added to the team;
- Drafting and submitting proposals for special/new editorial projects and products to the Director of Communications as needed; and
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- BA and 5-8 years of communications and editorial experience with escalating responsibility over large-scale editorial products and teams or 8+ years with similar experience;
- Experience in academic, think tank, government, non-profit or technology industry editorial environments;
- Superior writing, editing, and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with translating research findings into a range of other compelling content;
- Proficiency with WordPress, Medium, and other publishing platforms required; knowledge of Asana and Slack, with a robust understanding of Twitter as a source of public and editorial discourse preferred; and
- Management experience required.
- This is a full-time, exempt position in the Communications Department.
- This is currently a remote position. Data & Society is based in New York City, and will for the foreseeable future operate as a Remote-First organization.
- While this role will start as completely virtual, it may likely involve onsite components in the future.
- Annual salary is $90-108k, commensurate with experience. You will be offered a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance and access to a range of opt-in products and services including additional insurance and 401k management as well as paid time off, and paid federal holidays.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States; we are unable to sponsor visas.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, your involvement in previous editorial projects, and why you would be a good fit for this position;
- Your resume/CV is required.
- Writing samples with be required for the final round of interviews.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with an ideal start date of February 15, 2022. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions about the position. Questions about this opportunity or process will not reflect negatively on your application.
About Data & Society
Data & Society focuses on the social and cultural issues arising from data-centric technological development. We seek to inform and develop frames for discussion of these complex issues both through our own research and through supporting the expansion of a nascent field of actors concerned about these topics. We want to be a resource, a catalyst, and a convener as new sectors recognize the complexity of the issues and the need for trade-offs when they increase their reliance on data as a tool for management and decision-making.
We see the field as comprised of researchers, journalists, policymakers, technologists, industry leaders and workers, funders, advocates, and civil society actors. We are committed to helping this field engage substantively, and with an evidence base, in debates over implications arising from the increasing reliance on data at scale to automated decision-making across a range of sectors.
The work and well-being of Data & Society is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.
Data & Society provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.