Senior Communications Manager
About Data & Society
Data & Society advances public understanding of the social and cultural implications of data-centric technologies and automation. We conduct interdisciplinary research and build a field of actors to ensure that knowledge guides development and governance of technology. We are working towards a future in which the values that shape technology are visible, and intentionally chosen with respect for human dignity.
About the role
The Senior Communications Manager (SCM) is a mid-career specialist practiced in managing and executing digital communications strategies for knowledge-driven organizations. They will work with the Director of Creative Strategy to develop and refine editorial and production models for Data & Society’s audience-tailored digital content properties (e.g. website, daily social media, weekly newsletter, podcast) while managing responsive daily public relations operations for an independent research nonprofit.
The SCM has shaped and delegated editorial workflows for high-profile digital content collaborations. They have worked in a busy digital newsroom, communications department, public relations firm, or similar. They have generated engaging content that successfully translates specialist knowledge to a general audience, and are familiar with fast-paced media relations cycles. Demonstrated understanding of major current topics in emerging technology is preferred.
The SCM will be responsible for:
Digital Content Execution & Strategic Alignment
- The SCM works in partnership with the Director of Creative Strategy to ensure that our digital content conveys empirical rigor, aligns with our values and mission, responds to key audience(s), and adheres to our brand. This requires a strong sense of editorial planning including a sensibility for responsive adjustments to schedules based on trends and news cycles.They may propose content production cycles for new media products when resource, timing, and opportunity align.
- On the inbound side, they will monitor developments in audience growth and analytics, advising on content strategy with an eye to organic growth, cooperative peer signal-boosting, and a mission-aligned voice.
- On the outbound side, they will draft concise and resonant copy with the Director of Creative Strategy, empowering staff with basic messaging to share new research findings with the public and other key stakeholders.
- In interacting with the media, the SCM shows enthusiasm for sharing reliable sources and for pitching timely, context-appropriate expert guests and think pieces from our research team.
- The SCM is comfortable with coordinating personable follow-through with reporters and editors, and exercise independent judgement to either delegate inbound press requests or escalate them to the Director of Creative Strategy.
- They come with ready comprehension of the values and norms of nonprofit PR best practice, making them a valued collaborator of serious reporters and a highly tactical thought partner for the senior team on longer publicity projects.
- The SCM is practiced at breaking down feedback from leadership in order to motivate and manage iterative content development from a diverse junior to mid-level team. They demonstrate the diplomacy and confidence to gently guide daily prioritization for staff and creative contractors.
- They will advise the Director of Creative Strategy on monthly budgetary benchmarks, talent resourcing, and efforts to meet team strategic goals while also sustaining morale. They approach complex problems with clarifying questions, clear processes, and consistent internal review cycles.
- They are a champion of internal DEI processes and actively contribute to a broader manager’s team in developing equitable norms for training and evaluation.
Success for this role looks like a motivated and productive junior and mid-level communications team that generates high-quality digital content on all our main platforms that meets our overall strategic goals; an informed and empowered senior director; and the continued excellence of our external-facing, evidence-based public relations practice as demonstrated by new and repeat press inquiries/placements. In particular, the success of the SCM will make room for the team to spearhead new digital product development (e.g. digital video shorts; interactive report pages) thanks to expanded team capacity for creative direction and content strategy.
- 5+ years progressive team management experience in media, PR, communications or related fields.
- Experience with multimedia storytelling and talent in writing and editing blog posts, press releases, newsletter, and website content. Strong knowledge of Twitter, WordPress, and MailChimp (or similar newsletter products) and associated analytics reporting is required.
- Familiar with the creative development process for, and with the ability to effectively manage the editorial calendars of, multiple digital media projects on tight deadlines.
- Experience leading social and media outreach efforts, with a proven track record helping to build social engagement organically and drive media exposure at top tier and cutting-edge media outlets including print, broadcast, radio, and podcasts
- Effective communicator with a demonstrated ability to convene and facilitate productive, outcome-oriented discussions.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, as well as workflow and project management tools like Asana.
- Experience elevating nontraditional and marginalized voices to remunerated and/or high-profile publishing or broadcast opportunities is a bonus.
- Personal integrity, strong sense of fairness, and the ability to establish credibility with stakeholders.
- Ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong systems thinker with a process orientation.
- Phenomenal communication and people skills; great phone and video call etiquette.
- Effective communicator with excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work cycle and deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events gracefully.
The Senior Communications Manager reports directly to the Director of Creative Strategy and will manage the production and digital content staff of the Communications department.
- This is currently a remote position. Data & Society is based out of New York City, and will for the foreseeable future operate as a Remote-First organization.
- While this role will start as completely virtual, it will likely involve onsite components in the future.
FT/PT: Full Time
Hours: 40 hours/week
Salary range: $100,000 - $110,000
To apply, please submit the following items. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role and why you would be a good fit for this position
- Your resume/CV
- One writing sample
- The names, affiliations, and contact information for three professional references