Type: Full time
Min. Experience: 8 years
Who we are:
We are Dataminr. We deliver real-time, actionable alerts that are derived from vast amounts of publicly available data. Our groundbreaking AI-enabled platform cuts through the noise in an increasingly complex landscape by detecting, classifying, and determining the significance of public information. Our culture promotes cross team interaction, work-life balance and the sharing of information and ideas because it enables us to do our best work and have fun. We've grown to over 500 talented employees across eight global offices, attained unicorn status after our recent investment round, and been referred to as the “super tool of journalists and hedge funds."
A career at Dataminr offers the ability to make a meaningful impact at a rapidly growing tech company with a startup culture, while being supported by the experience of a company founded in 2009. We value ownership, curiosity and drive on an individual level and live these values every day. We empower everyone to have a voice at the table and regularly invest in professional development.
We are a mission-driven company committed to the power of real-time information as a force for good in the world.
Who you are:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to be responsible for growing, managing, and mentoring Search team product projects using Java and Scala, SQL and NoSQL data stores, Kafka, and Docker, all running on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Writes code, architects systems, and plans features with other teams, utilizing proficiency with the same tools. Sets priorities for the team on a weekly and daily basis and mentors members of the team from intern and new graduate level through to senior levels. Responsible for designing and managing big data search and pipeline systems containing over 180 billion records and indexing records at 6,000 items a second. Utilizes understanding of customers and works with the Product Team and other engineering teams to develop, test, and deliver great features and infrastructure, serving as the liaison between business and technical aspects of the product projects. Collaborates closely with other teams in engineering, product, and across the organization to develop innovative software solutions to new challenges and help team to deliver superb technical products in record-breaking time. Facilitates team’s regular meetings, including daily standups and biweekly planning and acts as hiring manager to grow a team with different levels of experience and skillsets. Serves as a part of Dataminr’s wider engineering management team, continually improving work across teams.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- 8 years of related engineering experience
- Must also each of the following:
- 2 years of experience managing engineering teams of 5 people or more, including experience owning the career development on senior engineers;
- 5 years of experience leading agile, cross-functional engineering teams on technical projects including Java and Scala microservices architectures and cloud migrations;
- 2 years of AWS (or other cloud services) hands-on experience, including EC2, ECS, and S3;
- 5 years of experience with Big Data technologies, including SQL and NoSQL databases (including systems used to provide search services) and data streaming pipelines; and
- Demonstrated experience implementing and managing continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) practices.
- Will accept experience gained concurrently.
- Will accept experience gained before, during, or after Master’s program.
Why you should work here:
- We recognize and reward hard work with:
- competitive compensation package including company equity.
- paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance.
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching.
- flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses.
- We want you to be your best, authentic self by supporting you with:
- A diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed.
- Opportunities to own and drive important critical projects.
- Individual Learning and Development fund and professional training.
- Generous leave and flexible hours.
- Daily catered lunch and a fully stocked kitchen.
- And more!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.