Minimum Experience: 5+ years
Type: Full time
Who we are:
We are Dataminr. We deliver real-time, actionable alerts that are derived from vast amounts of publicly available data. Our groundbreaking AI-enabled platform cuts through the noise in an increasingly complex landscape by detecting, classifying, and determining the significance of public information. Our culture promotes cross team interaction, work-life balance and the sharing of information and ideas because it enables us to do our best work and have fun. We've grown to over 450 talented employees across six global offices, attained unicorn status after our recent investment round, and been referred to as the “super tool of journalists and hedge funds."
We are a mission-driven company committed to the power of real-time information as a force for good in the world.
Who you are:
You're an experienced Data Engineer interested in working in both streaming and batch processing environments [Kafka streaming, Kinesis, Spark, SCALA, Java], writing, upgrading and scheduling ETLs that produce meaningful analytic insights for an innovative, data-intensive product. You excel at integrating data from different sources, you are intellectually curious about analytics frameworks and you are well-versed in the advantages and limitations of various big data architectures and technologies. You are also comfortable using SQL for exploratory analyses and data validation. Importantly, you understand the importance of communication in engineering and how essential it is to appreciate business metrics and business needs when building out new data analytics pipelines. You have a history of mentoring other engineers, you give your time generously and you know when to ask for help.
You will be a lead data engineer responsible for architecting and building highly-performant and maintainable analytic pipelines with the best of current technologies including both batch and streaming environments. You will write and maintain ETLs and APIs and consult with other teams on how to improve theirs. You will schedule jobs and manage workflows in support of both product and our AI/Data Science pipeline, and you’ll be introduced to our unique ingest and processing pipelines that turn publicly available data into breaking, real-world alerts that are routed to our customers all over the world. In the first month, you’ll
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our data processing pipelines and data structures with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- share responsibility for ETLs and APIs with other members of your team.
- help to plan new infrastructure features and improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in helping others understand our analytics strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- own an area of the analytics platform.
- design and implement pipelines that impact multiple teams across the company.
- be influential in helping plan the next iteration of our analytics platform.
- bring new ideas to our engineering and analytics processes to help us continuously improve.
Why you should work here:
We recognize and reward hard work with:
- competitive compensation package including company equity.
- paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance.
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching.
- flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses.
We want you to be your best, authentic self by supporting you with:
- a diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed.
- opportunities to own and drive important critical projects.
- individual Learning and Development fund and professional training.
- generous leave and flexible hours.
- daily catered lunch and a fully stocked kitchen.
- And more!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.