Join our team
DataCamp is building the best platform to learn and teach data skills. We create technology for personalized learning experiences and bring the power of data fluency to millions of people around the world. Our learners get real hands-on experience by completing self paced, interactive data science courses, practice, and projects from the best instructors in the world, right in the browser.
We are an international team with backgrounds in education, data science, design, psychology, biology, linguistics, engineering and more. We are united by our passion for impacting the future of education.
DataCamp's engineering team consists of multiple product teams, that consist of an embedded product manager, product designer, and a group of individually contributing engineers. This product team has a lot of autonomy in deciding what to work on, how to build it and when to deliver it. We aim for continuous improvement, iterative development, trust and servant leadership.
About the role
As an engineering manager, we expect you to guide and coach one or more product team(s) towards success and foster the engineering principles we stand for. Together with product managers and your team(s), you will decide on a vision and take ownership of the entire code base and team management to realize it. As a manager, you will be responsible for further building out your team(s), resolving impediments and fostering personal growth of each engineer. You will be responsible for driving continuous improvements within the team using agile practices. This includes coaching the team on big projects, sponsoring technical debt efforts, following best practices, etc. As a result of this, a majority of your time is spent supporting engineers and not typing emails or sitting in meetings.
The ideal candidate
- Has 2+ years of experience in coaching teams while working in an agile environment
- Has 2+ years of web development experience with Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, React, or Vue
- has recruiting experience and has facilitated teams towards self-sufficiency
- Has excellent management and communication skills
- Is highly organised with a flexible, can-do attitude and a willingness/aptitude for learning
- Is able to work collaboratively in teams and develop meaningful relationships to achieve common goals
- Develops personal growth opportunities for its existing members
- Enjoys coding and knows what clean, maintainable, performant and testable code looks like
It's a plus if
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit
- You have successfully managed remote direct reports and worked with distributed teams
- You are passionate about data science and education
- You have experience with Microservices
What's in it for you
In addition to joining a creative and international start-up, you’ll enjoy:
- A very competitive salary and stock options
- An exciting job that will offer you technical challenges every day
- Flexible working hours
- International company retreats
- Conference and hardware budget
- Working with a great team (everyone says this, but we’re serious—we’re pretty great)
For this position, we are not considering remote candidates. DataCamp will provide help and budget if you relocate. We regret not being able to provide sponsorship for this role.
DataCamp is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.