Join our team
DataCamp is building the best platform to learn and teach data skills. We create technology for personalized learning experiences and bring the power of data fluency to millions of people around the world. Our learners get real hands-on experience by completing self paced, interactive data science courses, practice, and projects from the best instructors in the world, right in the browser.
We are an international team with backgrounds in education, data science, design, psychology, biology, linguistics, engineering and more. We are united by our passion for impacting the future of education.
DataCamp's engineering team consists of multiple product teams, that consist of an embedded product manager, product designer, and a group of individually contributing engineers. This product team has a lot of autonomy in deciding what to work on, how to build it and when to deliver it. We aim for continuous improvement, iterative development, trust and servant leadership.
About the role
As an engineering lead, we expect you to guide and coach one or more product team(s) towards success and foster the engineering principles we stand for. Together with product managers and your team(s), you will decide on a vision and take ownership of the entire code base and team management to realize it. As a manager, you will be responsible for further building out your team(s), resolving impediments and fostering personal growth of each engineer. You will be responsible for driving continuous improvements within the team using agile practices. This includes running point on big projects, spearheading technical debt efforts, following best practices, etc. As a result of this, a majority of your time is spent coaching related to engineering and not typing emails or sitting in meetings.
The ideal candidate
- Has 2+ years of experience in coaching teams while working in an agile environment
- Has 2+ years of web development experience with Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, React, or Vue
- You have recruited and built teams from the ground up before
- Has excellent management and communication skills
- Is highly organised with a flexible, can-do attitude and a willingness/aptitude for learning
- Ability to work collaboratively in teams and develop meaningful relationships to achieve common goals
- Develops personal growth opportunities for its existing members
- Can write clean, maintainable, performant and testable code
It's a plus if
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit
- You have successfully managed remote direct reports and worked with distributed teams
- You are passionate about data science and education
- You have experience with Microservices
What's in it for you
In addition to joining a creative and international start-up, you’ll enjoy:
- A very competitive salary and stock options
- An exciting job that will offer you technical challenges every day
- Flexible working hours
- International company retreats every 6 months
- Conference and hardware budget
- Working with a great team (everyone says this, but we’re serious—we’re pretty great)
For this position, we are not considering remote candidates. DataCamp will provide help and budget if you relocate.
DataCamp is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.