As a Data Engineer, you will have the opportunity to shape the future big data solution landscape for leading Fortune 500 organizations. This position is a senior level customer-facing role that needs deep expertise in Apache Spark along with breadth of big data solution architecture experience. On a weekly basis, you will guide customers through architecture, design and implementation activities while strategically aligning their technical roadmap for expanding the usage of the Databricks platform.
At Databricks we work on some of the most complex distributed processing systems and our customers challenge us with interesting new big data and AI requirements. Data Engineers at Databricks are five-star, self-motivated, rock stars with a history of delivering strong business results in technology and consulting. And since “teamwork makes the dream work” is a fundamental growth value at Databricks, a Data Engineer works internally within a multi-functional team including Account Executives and Customer Success Engineers, all while having a direct channel to the original creators of Apache Spark.
- Guide strategic customers as they design and implement Big Data projects ranging from transformations to data science and AI through on-site and remote engagements
- Provide technical leadership in a pre-sales and post-sales capacity for customers to support successful understanding, evaluation and adoption of Databricks
- Identify and drive new initiatives that enable customers to succeed in turning their data into value
- Build reference architectures, frameworks, solutions, how-to’s, and prototypes for customers
- Provide escalated level of support for critical customer operational issues
- Architect, implement, and/or validate migration of workloads from 3rd party databases and data platforms to Apache Spark.
- Evangelize Spark and Databricks across developer community through meetups and conferences
- Plan and coordinate with Account Executives, Customer Success Engineers and Solution Architects for expanding the use of Databricks platform within strategic enterprise customers on a weekly basis
- Deep hands-on technical expertise with Apache Spark
- Experience years of design and implementation experience in Big Data technologies (Hadoop ecosystem, Kafka, NoSQL databases)
- Experience in customer-facing pre-sales, technical architecture or consulting role
- Open to travel up to 30% per month
- Familiarity with data architecture patterns (data warehouse, data lake, streaming, Lambda/Kappa architecture)
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; Comfortable with talking up and down the IT chain of command including directors, managers, architects and developers
- Passionate about learning new technologies and making customers successful
- Excellent presentation and whiteboarding skills
- Comfortable coding Python, Scala or Java
- Familiarity with AWS/EC2 cloud deployment models (Public vs. VPC)
- BS / MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proven track record within a data platform software vendor in a consulting/services function
- Experience working as or with Data Scientists
- Experienced with performance tuning, troubleshooting, and debugging Spark and/or other big data solutions
- Familiarity with database and analytics technologies in the industry including Data Warehousing/ETL, Relational Databases, or MPP
Databricks’ mission is to accelerate innovation for its customers by unifying Data Science, Engineering and Business. Founded by the original creators of Apache Spark™, Databricks provides a Unified Analytics Platform for data science teams to collaborate with data engineering and lines of business to build data products. Users achieve faster time-to-value with Databricks by creating analytic workflows that go from ETL and interactive exploration to production. The company also makes it easier for its users to focus on their data by providing a fully managed, scalable, and secure cloud infrastructure that reduces operational complexity and total cost of ownership. Databricks, venture-backed by Andreessen Horowitz, NEA and Battery Ventures, among others, has a global customer base that includes Salesforce, Viacom, Shell, and HP. For more information, visit www.databricks.com.
Apache, Apache Spark and Spark are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation.