Data is one of the fastest growing segments within fintech, but the incumbent financial data providers are still stuck in the past, with cumbersome onboarding processes, APIs that are difficult to integrate, slow infrastructure, and expensive licensing costs.
At Databento, we are building the next generation data platform to power the world's largest institutions - starting with the radical idea that you should only pay for market data on a metered, pay-as-you-go basis.
Since starting in 2019, we've raised over $27.8M in funding and have over 2,000 companies signed up prelaunch. Our team brings years of experience running high-frequency trading desks, and includes alumni from large firms such as Two Sigma, Google, Microsoft and Bloomberg. We provide full health and dental benefits, 401(k) matching, visa sponsorships and support both full remote and on-site work.
As a Senior Product Designer, you'll be working closely with our product and engineering teams to design and improve on our core product and implement growth strategies to widen our user base. You'll be:
- Designing and improving everything from end-to-end user flows to visual optimizations for specific features.
- Implementing both high-fidelity prototypes and low-fidelity wireframes.
- Working with engineers to bridge the gap between design and technical implementation.
- Working with external and internal (CEO, CTO, community team) stakeholders to identify and prioritize user needs.
- Conducting user testing and assimilating customer feedback.
- Planning and conducting user research and interviews.
- Motivating design-oriented decisions and standards firm-wide.
Our core products are an API service and an enterprise web application. Here are some key highlights of our product strategy:
- Product-led growth with low touch sales. We rely on product features like referrals, team invites and self-signup process instead of a traditional sales pipeline to scale our user base.
- Enterprise-grade, consumer-scale product. (Like Slack or GitHub.) Our competitors adopt a traditional enterprise SaaS strategy, opting to hide their product behind a "request for quote/demo" and employing a high touch onboarding process with big sales teams. We believe we can outpace their growth by targeting the same enterprises with an institutional-grade product that instead has the ease of adoption and transparency of a consumer product.
- Targeting a developer-centric user base. (Like AWS, Stripe or Plaid.) We pursue the exponential effect of providing products that enable developers to build an ecosystem of other products and tools.
- Fast iteration. With multiple deployments per day.
- Putting product needs before technical limitations. We have great engineers who will walk over hot coals to actualize difficult product requirements.
- 5+ years of experience as a UI/UX Designer or Product Designer.
- Proficiency with design tools (Figma, Adobe).
- Experience collaborating with engineers and other designers.
- Experience performing user research, user flow mapping and presenting options to stakeholders.
- Understanding of color theory, typography, interaction design, motion principles and visual hierarchy.
- Keen eye for design improvements and visual detail.
- A strong portfolio.
- Bachelor's degree in a design or technical field, such as HCI, Design or Information Architecture.
- Experience with designing enterprise web applications or API products (e.g. Stripe, Twilio, Plaid, Segment, Algolia, Agora).
- Industry knowledge in fintech.
- Familiarity with responsive design.
- Familiarity with collecting user metrics and analyzing user sessions (e.g. Amplitude, Heap, Mixpanel).
- Exposure to product management at high growth startup.
Please include a sample portfolio or website in your application, if possible.
Our recruiting data suggests that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!