At Dandelion, Safety is our main priority and we strive to ensure all of our projects are completed with the highest regard to safety, protection of property and quality assurance. The Director of Safety will spearhead creation and ongoing support surrounding our culture of safety across the entire company with a concentrated focus on our Drilling, Excavating and other field operations functions. This position will report to the COO and work closely with the HR team and our Operations team.
- Will create, guide and oversee all Policy and Program creation to ensure that we have thorough, timely and comprehensive operations procedures that support minimizing risk and increase a focus on safety
- Will manage the safety team to ensure that we assemble a comprehensive and thoughtful program that considers all hazards to health and property associated with Dandelion operations
- Will work closely with training to develop training that both educates and supports all programs, such training will provide the necessary safety training to perform their job duties safely, effectively and reduce the chance of property damage
- Ensure operations and safety personnel are performing regular visits to job sites and warehouses in an organized and tracked program.
- Works with Safety Team to provide feedback on all safety and risk audits, in an effort to further support and develop a culture that places safety in the foreground.
- Develop a strong relationship with our subcontractors to ensure we learn from their best practices and get them to buy into our safety goals so that we create a strong reputation in the industry for working safely.
- Will be responsible to analyse our operations both now or in the future, to be proactive in identifying any hazards and the solutions that will protect, eliminate, or minimize the hazards
- Working with all stakeholders to streamline our incident reporting procedures to be timely and consistent to support prevention.
- Along with the necessary stakeholders will develop corrective action protocols which will further support our mission
- Define, recommend and ensure what resources are needed by Risk and Safety to support our culture goals and keep people and property safe
- Oversee and manage all administration on Fleet Coverage, Property/Casualty, Executive Risks and any other insurance needed to successfully support the needs of the business and its growth.
- Manage the investigation of claims filed by employees and clients, to ensure the appropriate reporting to the designated insurance carrier or third party claims administrator (TPA) for the self insured portion.
- Maintain the appropriate level of analysis and communication of each assigned claim throughout the claim process until closure of the file. Working with insurance to keep claims reserves managed so that we do not harm our experience.
- Serve as the main point-of-contact and for communication with the carrier/TPA and conduct QA on the vendor to ensure optimum service is provided to the company and its clients. Monitor vendor effectiveness and assist with vendor improvement.
- Review and gain stakeholder approval on reserve changes, litigation referrals, awards and payments.
- Ensure alignment on priorities and direction by collaborating with operations, finance, human resources, fleet management and upper management.
- Understand and handle any communications needed for insurance renewal, insurance expirations or stakeholder meetings.
- Provide risk analysis as needed to stakeholders to help achieve profitability goals.
- OSHA 30 Certification with a practical knowledge of OSHA laws, regulations and policies that cover the construction field
- Working knowledge of Construction Safety Principles including appropriate use of heavy equipment such as excavators, drill rigs, skid steers, or cranes that ensure protection of health and property
- Knowledge of insurance and claims processes for on the job injuries and property damage
- Experience building and strengthening safety culture at a construction or similar organization
- Experience training others on technical topics and processes to reduce liability and risks to the employee and the business
- Experience building out safety committees and scalable safety programs within a rapidly scaling organization
- Capable of identifying known potential exposures and recommending corrective action
- Ability to travel as needed
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Experience as a manager who can coach versus a policing approach towards Safety and property damage
- OSHA 500 or Greater
- Thrives in a fast paced work environment with competing priorities
- Experience and knowledge of rules surrounding drilling health and safety
- Sense of humor is a major plus.
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.