Dandelion, a spin out of Google X, is the US leader in residential geothermal systems. The systems we design and install are leading the way in electrifying heating; a huge market and an essential step in decarbonizing our economy.
We are looking for a Process Engineer to work in our operations group. In this role you will drive continuous improvement throughout our drilling, trenching, and heat pump installation operations. This role will have a broad scope that prioritizes industry changing breakthroughs as well as incremental advancements to existing processes. Improvement examples include logistics and utilization of our heavy machinery, evaluating new products and equipment for faster and higher quality geothermal system installation, and more efficient labor coordination.
- Design and conduct experiments aimed at investigating new products, processes, and equipment
- Develop and lead early pilot tests of promising technology while developing rollout plans for rapid transfer of successful pilots to broader operating group
- Create standard documentation and maintain Confluence knowledge base
- Spend time each week on jobs sites with our crews observing their work and supporting new pilots and processes
- Verify that processes and documentation used by crews is being followed, while understanding deficiencies and improving processes or documentation when needed
- Track operational performance across our drilling, trenching, and heat pump installations
- Analyze operational data to identify opportunities for savings and operational efficiency
- Research equipment alternatives currently available in the marketplace and build network of equipment suppliers to inform possible operational alternatives
- Manage project status and report to group in weekly meetings and with superiors
- BS/MS in Mechanical/Electrical/Industrial/Material/Chemical Engineering
- 4+ years of full-time working experience in process, engineering, or manufacturing roles
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical aptitude, and numerical dexterity
- High attention to detail and ruthless focus on getting projects to 100% completion
- Self-motivated to deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete or dirty data
- Demonstrated track record of project ownership
- Natural curiosity to seek out better solutions or processes
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- 401k plan
- Stock/Equity options
- Paid Sick and Vacation time (PTO)
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online-based courses
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.
Since spinning out of Google X in 2017, Dandelion Energy has been an energy innovation company working to electrify home heating. We create and install geothermal heat pumps to replace fossil-fueled furnaces and boilers. We’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees and have become the largest residential geothermal heat pump installation company in the United States. Our carbon impact to date is the equivalent to taking over 25,000 cars off the road... and that impact is accelerating with our growth!
Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts in geothermal, drilling, heat pump software engineering, HVAC installation, solar and solar financing, behavioral economics, and high-growth operations amongst other backgrounds. With the potential to catalyze and scale a widespread transition to sustainable and affordable heating and cooling, our work is both complex yet rewarding. We are working to create a wholesale shift in how people heat and cool their homes — join us!