The Drilling Field Optimization Manager will bring a logistics-oriented mindset, technical rigor, domain knowledge and task orientation to Dandelion’s efforts to advance the state of the art in residential geothermal drilling. This person will be responsible for researching, prototyping, and developing new drilling products and processes in order to lower drilling cost, increase quality, and simplify loop installation.
The Drilling Field Optimization Manager will partner with Dandelion’s VP of Drilling to create a roadmap of drilling product and process improvements we should be exploring, and help identify and evaluate companies, products, softwares, consultants, and materials on the market that may aid us in the pursuit of our drilling objectives. The Drilling Product Manager will own that roadmap and be responsible for delivering against it.
- 10+ years in product management or engineering
- Experience with design and operation of drilling equipment or similar heavy machinery
- Six sigma or equivalent process optimization backgrounds -a plus
- A degree in engineering
- Optimize Dandelion’s drilling offering
- Build understanding of current challenges and opportunities in Dandelion’s geothermal drilling operations (space constraints, heavy drill string etc.)
- Partner with VP Drilling to create a roadmap outlining the highest priority challenges and opportunities, with timelines, budget, and agreed-upon milestones and deliverables.
- Build deep technical familiarity with Dandelion’s existing drilling equipment and processes (time motion, frequent site visits, relationships with drill crew etc.)
- Research landscape of potential drilling or logistical improvements
- Identify and cold call potential suppliers, drillers, companies and people of interest (eg Swedish drilling companies)
- Procure equipment, materials, or software needed for drilling tests or operations
- Be in the field a lot
- Spend 20-30% of time onsite, observing, documenting, and understanding Dandelion’s drilling operations
- Form great working relationships with Dandelion’s drilling crew members
- Set up and execute experiments and tests to efficiently trial new equipment and approaches
- Create evaluation criteria for new ideas and get cross functional alignment on what matters (cost, access, labor etc.)
- Run pilots and tests to efficiently collect efficacy data on novel approaches
- Roll out drilling product and process improvements in partnership with VP of Drilling
- Domain expertise in drilling and/or logistics
- Project management of engineering development efforts
- Ability to quickly learn and integrate new information
- Pragmatic and thorough
- Strong problem solving and action/solutions orientation
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Comfortable with significant growth and overall business change.
- Fluency with CAD and some type of drafting or visualization program a plus
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered from day 1!
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online-based courses
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.