The way we heat and cool our homes is antiquated, dirty and dangerous. We take it for granted that we pump fossil fuels into our homes in order to keep them warm. There is a better way. Spun out of Google X, Dandelion has developed a residential geothermal solution that is clean, safe, and affordable to the masses. Dandelion’s proprietary technology, world-class team, and access to capital gives it the advantage to dominate this huge market.
About the Role
The Director of Regulatory Affairs will be responsible for crafting the strategy and executing on Dandelion’s engagements with governmental entities at the federal, state, and local levels to grow the market for geothermal heating and cooling. Dandelion benefits from federal and state incentives, is subject to numerous local regulations, and our long term success will depend on successful engagement with policy makers at all levels. A successful applicant will be comfortable in external settings, adept at building deep stakeholder relationships t, willing to roll up his or her sleeves to understand the details of proposed regulations, and successfully advocate for changes that align regulations with Dandelion’s success. This is a rare opportunity to craft a policy and regulatory strategy with an industry leader, and as part of a leadership team that is deeply committed to success in this space.
Craft and execute on our external engagement strategy
- Collaborate with company leadership to determine which policy and regulatory efforts are most strategic to Dandelion’s work.
- As appropriate, engage trade groups and external lobbyists to boost our efforts.
- Represent Dandelion externally in front of thought leaders.
- Craft thoughtful, detailed written comments, memos, or presentations as needed.
- Keep our business strategy central to your efforts at all times.
Represent Dandelion in front of government stakeholders
- Effectively and persuasively represent Dandelion in front of federal, state, and local governmental leaders.
- Thoughtfully engage your network - or build your network - to further our business goals.
- Communicate Dandelion’s interests in a way that pushes policy thinking forward and aligns policymakers with our goals.
Collaborate with our internal experts to create thoughtful policy recommendations
- Marshall internal resources in a way that allows you to get into the details of policy recommendations, and be informed where it matters.
- Be a natural momentum builder and great collaborator.
- We have a track record of results in the policy space, and expect to have a measurable impact. Joining a coalition and getting a seat at the table is not enough.
- You have at least 5 years of experience in working with the public sector, ideally at the intersection of business and policy. Relevant experience may come from policy advocacy, direct work in state or local government, or from a similar role for another startup.
- You’ve graduated from a top school, with a graduate degree preferred.
- You are familiar with and passionate about energy policy. While energy policy expertise is a plus, we do not require deep policy expertise as much as a demonstrated willingness and ability to become an expert quickly. Your work experience includes persuasion or collaboration work across multiple external groups.
- Business experience is not required, but the ability to understand and operate within business constraints -- including limited resources,impatient timelines, and a focus on ROI -- is a must.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work well with colleagues across all businesses/cultures, achieve objectives through effective influencing, and establish credibility with senior leaders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics into clear and simple messages.
- You are comfortable in a low structure, fast paced environment, where change is the norm.
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered from day 1!
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.
Dandelion Energy is an energy innovation company working to electrify home heating. We create and install geothermal heat pumps to replace fossil-fueled furnaces and boilers. Since spinning out of Google X in 2017, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees and have become the largest residential geothermal heat pump installation company in the US. Our carbon impact to date is the equivalent to taking over 25,000 cars off the road, and that impact is accelerating with our growth!
Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts in geothermal, drilling, heat pump and software engineering, HVAC installation, solar and solar financing, behavioral economics, and high-growth operations, among other backgrounds. With the potential to catalyze and scale a widespread transition to sustainable and affordable heating and cooling, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to create a wholesale shift in how people heat and cool their homes — join us!