The way we heat and cool our homes is antiquated, dirty and dangerous. We take it for granted that we pump fossil fuels into our homes in order to keep them warm. There is a better way. Spun out of Google X, Dandelion has developed a residential geothermal solution that is clean, safe, and affordable to the masses. Dandelion’s proprietary technology, world-class team, and access to capital gives it the advantage to dominate this huge market.
In 30 years no one will pump fossil fuels into their house to heat their home. Dandelion is leading the way.
About the Role
The VP/ Director of Drilling will be responsible for helping evaluate and choose the drilling technology that Dandelion will deploy, as well as take responsibility for the day-to-day management of our in house drilling crews and any drilling subcontractors. You will work closely with our product and engineering teams, as well as senior leadership to build and iterate on a scalable strategy. A successful applicant will be equally comfortable discussing the technical intricacies of drilling, managing and predicting the profitability of our performance, and leading multiple teams in the field. This role will be at the intersection of business and technology and will be critical to our success with high visibility throughout our industry. In the first year they will be expected to deliver tens of millions of dollars of projects, scaling over several years to hundreds of millions.
We are open to evaluating candidates at multiple levels of seniority for this role. Title and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Drive efficiency through our drilling operations
- Work with our engineering team to evaluate various well drilling technologies for efficiency, customer impact, cost of labor, cost of maintenance, and any other factors that may impact both the customer experience and our bottom line.
- Define technical rig requirements.
- Define technical services and third party requirements.
- Prepare operational time and cost estimates.
- Ensure all drilling activities are in line with Dandelion policies and procedures, and drive Dandelion culture by setting an example through safe work practices.
Manage internal and external teams
- Manage Dandelion drilling operations including
- Dandelion rigs and crews
- Manage drilling subcontractors
- Manage Dandelion trenching operations
- Manage the preparation of well design, well plan and operational procedures for construction, completion, and customer satisfaction.
- Prepare, participate and lead peer reviews, peer assists and other quality assurance activities related to the project.
- Monitor daily progress of job(s) or project(s) and monitor operations expenditure
- Evaluate and implement best practices and in our operations.
- Ensure that we are safe in everything we do.
Lead a critical pillar of our business
- Communicate effectively with well site/project stakeholders as needed, and make recommendations to drive flawless service delivery and operational excellence.
- Build momentum with your work ethic, insistence on quality, and strong communication with others.
- Demonstrate excellent business acumen on a daily basis.
- Demand and drive for continuous improvement.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in Petroleum Engineering or Mechanical/Chemical Engineering with MS in Petroleum/Oil & Gas or Well Engineering.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in well construction, completion, intervention and/or optimization with integrated projects in oilfield companies or 8 years operator experience as a drilling engineer.
- Competences should include drill bits/mills, design, engineering simulations, field operations, preparation of programs, or similar.
- Experience working in at least two relevant applications: conventional rotary drilling, horizontal and/or multilateral wells, pad drilling, unconventional, coiled tubing drilling, underbalanced or managed pressure drilling.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work well with colleagues across all businesses/cultures, achieve objectives through effective influencing, and establish credibility with senior leaders.
- Excellent analytics and problem-solving, including ability to form hypotheses and move forward in the absence of complete information.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics into clear and simple messages.