Home geothermal technology was developed over half a century ago but has failed to reach widespread adoption despite being, on average, 48% more efficient than furnaces using gas, and 75% more efficient than furnaces using oil. While many HVAC companies sell geothermal heat pumps, they may only install a handful of custom systems each year, leaving them with little opportunity to develop or refine the specialized skill set required to enable peak system performance, let alone identify and manage inefficiencies at scale.
That’s where Dandelion Geothermal comes in. Dandelion, formerly incubated at Google’s X Lab, is on a mission to make geothermal heating and cooling affordable for homeowners by creating a totally streamlined process from start to finish. Dandelion now operates out of New York City and Upstate New York. We raised $23MM from leading investors including GV (formerly Google Ventures), and Comcast Ventures, with participation from Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN and LENB), as well as prior investors NEA, Collaborative Fund, and Ground Up.
We are looking for an HVAC Service Technician to join our team! You will serve as Dandelion’s first line of defense to improve quality, customer satisfaction and installation productivity. You will also be responsible for field activities related to the installation, service, repair and maintenance of geothermal heat pump systems installed by Dandelion and their installation partners. In this role, you will be joining a fast growing team looking to bring scale to the geothermal heat pump industry.
- Field service: perform on-site diagnostics, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis: Service and repair installed system fleet, which includes refrigeration systems, pump/circulator service and replacement, electrical work (both high and low voltage), plumbing (HDPE, PEX, copper), etc.
- Installation support: provide field and phone support for installation crews to troubleshoot installations, improve installation quality
- Communication: provide on-the-ground insight to the Dandelion engineering team to help build better software and heat pumps
- Schedule: normal business hours with flexibility to be on-call and available nights/weekends, as required
- Two year Degree in HVAC or refrigeration or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ Years hands on residential HVAC experience, preferably as a service technician
- Technical aptitude to perform maintenance, service, and troubleshoot HVAC equipment.
- EPA Universal Certification
- Electrical and mechanical diagnostic skills
- Excellent communicator with exemplary customer service skills
- Experience with geothermal ground heat exchanger installation a plus
- Because the job requires driving to our clients, you must possess a valid driver’s license with a safe and satisfactory driver history.
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance offered from day 1!
- 401k plan offered
- Stock/Equity options offered
- Paid Sick and Vacation
- Training support including on-the-job and virtual/online based courses
- 40 hour work week, overtime available
You’ll love working at Dandelion because:
We’re solving the world’s hardest problems. You’ll have the opportunity to pioneer renewable heating and cooling from the ground-up (literally). There’s no established playbook for fighting climate change, so your work will be messy, challenging, and build a better, cleaner world.
We’re good people. It sounds simple, and it is. We are passionate, vision-driven, low-ego, and treat one another with kindness and respect. We challenge ideas here, not people.
We hold each other accountable. We celebrate our wins and learn from our losses. We’re honest, realistic, and transparent across all areas of the business, every day -- not just at our monthly all-hands meeting.